Sushi is defined as the Japanese cuisine and consists of a seaweed roll containing vinegar flavored rice, raw fish and vegetables. It was originated as a means of preserving fresh raw meat of the fish to be carried out into the colder months. Various cooked or raw fish and pickled or unpickled vegetables are covered by the sushi.
In This Article:
Types of Sushi
the common types are
Sushi contains various healthy and nutrient rich ingredients such as –
- Fish and seafood
- Rice vinegar
- Pickled ginger
- Soy sauce
- Nori seaweed
9 Amazing Health Benefits of Sushi for Your Kids
It is a mouth-watering delicacy with countless health benefits. 9 impressive and amazing benefits of sushi in child’s diet are –
Sushi is a good source of iodine and iodine helps in balancing the thyroid hormones. It is present in sushi which is considered to be very beneficial to patients suffering from hypothyroidism as well as prevent the abnormal activity of the thyroid hormones and keep them in check. Hypothyroidism is a serious illness and can lead to uncontrollable obesity. So, adding sushi in diet will help in replenishment of iodine deficiency in kids.
Having sushi in diet is savior in weight gain as it is healthy and oil free which leaves with a plate full of healthy protein and carbohydrates.
Rich Source of Antioxidants
Sushi is a delicious way of getting a healthy dose of antioxidants which helps in preventing any oxidative damage to the skin and the DNA of cells. Antioxidants act as a shield against the free radicals which cause oxidative stress and cancer. It slows down cell damage, prevents permanent oxidative damage to the skin and slows down overall aging.
Rich in Omega 3 and Fatty Acids
Sushi is an excellent source of omega 3 and fatty acids which promote cell regeneration and prevent the onset of autoimmune diseases. The fatty acids are the combination of fish which promotes the growth of healthy immunity and kills of cells that can lead to diseases.
It provides healthy protein which is necessary for the brain cells to remain active and for cell and muscle regeneration.
Fish is an excellent source of calcium present in sushi. Adequate consumption of calcium along with the minerals present in fish keep the body healthy and negate the effects of age. Sushi is a staple in the anti-aging diet. The moisture content and replenishment that the combinations of fish present in sushi provide helps keep the body younger internally and externally. Salmon is a staple in sushi which is considered to be rich in fatty acids that prevent the effects of free radicals by strengthening the regeneration system of the cells.
Source of Iron
Iron keeps the red blood cells and haemoglobin levels in the body in check. Fish is used to create sushi and rich in iron.
Sushi is incomplete without seaweed. It makes excellent healthy snack and provide lots of vitamins and minerals when used in child’ diet.
Protects Heart Health
Fish is the healthiest meat for heart protection. Sushi in diet helps to regulate cholesterol and glucose levels in the blood. It promotes healthy flow of blood to and from the heart.
Sushi Health Risks
According to the Food and Drug Administration sushi is considered as a problematic food because it is made with raw fish. As raw fish can harbor parasites, bacteria and viruses. Following are health risks –
- Mercury toxicity – open water bodies are prone to a larger mercury accumulation because of which the fish contains high amount of mercury too. High mercury levels are harmful to pregnant and breastfeeding women which can lead to birth defects.
- Infection – improper food processing and handling practices combined with the use of raw fish and seafood which lead to bacterial and parasitic
- Calories – variety of preparation may lead to increase of calories of sushi. It often contains high fat sauces and toppings which lead to high calorie meal.
- Large amount of salt – it may increase the risk of stomach cancer and promote high blood pressure.
- Diseases – anisakiasis and food poisoning
- Refined carbs – these are present in sushi which make it to overeat and increase the risk of inflammation, type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
Increase Health Benefits of Sushi
- Increase nutrient intake
- Favor cone shaped hand rolls
- Increase the protein and fiber content
- Avoid rolls made with cream cheese and sauce
- Cut down on soy sauce
- Avoid at home attempts at sushi
- Avoid certain types of fish and pick the right one
- Order sushi from reputable restaurants
Sushi Recipes for Kids
it is a nutritious and popular meal for children.
- Baby sushi
- Fruit sushi
- Veggie sushi
- Peanut butter sushi
- Strawberry sushi
- Coconut sushi
- Carrot and avocado sushi
- Chocolate sushi
- Candy sushi
They have many health benefits which include –
- reducing high cholesterol levels
- risk of heart disease
- overall inflammation
- lowering blood pressure
- lowering triglycerides
- maintaining heart rhythm
- Immunity booster
- muscle repair
- memory booster
- wrinkle prevention
- hormone regulation
- metabolism booster
- cancer prevention
Conclusion – Sushi is a Japanese preparation and is considered to be nutritious, healthy and rich in omega 3 fatty acids. It protects the heart, maintains hormonal balance, immunity and metabolism booster and improves circulation.