Grapefruit juice helps in losing weight, lowers bad cholesterol, controls blood pressure, helps during indigestion, reduces the risk of kidney stones and acidity, prevents diabetes, relieves constipation and treats malaria.
Grapefruit is a fruit belonging to the citrus fruit’s family. It is rich in vitamin C and can be sweet or sour in taste. It can relieve a person’s thirst due to its high-water content. Grapefruit juice helps to increase the metabolic rate and reduces the risk of colon cancer and prostate cancer. 15 surprisingly good health benefits of grapefruit juice are:
In this article:
15 Amazing Health Benefits of Grapefruit Juice
Helps in Losing Weight
One of the biggest problems flourishing in today’s world is obesity. There may be several medicines to control obesity, but grapefruit is a natural antidote for weight-loss. Studies show that people who consumed grapefruit juice before each meal lose more weight than people who do not consume it. It is low in calorie content and has a high content of nutrients such as vitamin C, vitamin A, protein, potassium, etc.
Lowers Bad Cholesterol
Cholesterol is a problem in which fats accumulate in the arteries and make the heart vulnerable to heart attacks. Grapefruit juice lowers the amount of bad cholesterol in our blood and lowers the risk of heart attacks.
Controls Blood Pressure
Grapefruit juice is a good source of potassium. Sodium is the leading cause of high blood pressure levels. Potassium is a good counter for the bad effects of sodium. Therefore, grapefruit juice provides you with the essential amount of potassium to lower blood pressure levels.
Antioxidants cure a thousand skin ailments. They help in preventing wrinkles, combats skin damage due to pollution, and builds up collagen to boost skin texture. Grapefruit juice is rich in these antioxidants and therefore a key to good skin.
An Immune Booster
Quinine helps to treat malaria and reduces its symptoms. Grapefruit juice is a natural source of quinine and thus is effective in treating malaria.
Helps During Indigestion
Grapefruit juice is an immediate cure for indigestion. It eases bowel movements and maintains a healthy excretory system.
Grapefruit juice creates an alkaline condition in the stomach that is beneficial in proper digestion. It prevents the formation of acid and acidity related problems.
In a study, it was shown that people who regularly consumed grapefruit juice develop a lower risk of pancreatic and prostate cancer. It helps in reducing inflammation and multiplication of cancer cells.
Insulin helps to maintain a healthy level of sugar in the blood. When the cells do not respond to the insulin properly, insulin resistance develops and blood sugar level rises. Grapefruit juice consumption before a meal can cause tremendous changes in the blood sugar level and prevent diabetes.
Reduce the Risk of Kidney Stones
Kidney stones are a great nuisance. They develop because of build-up waste materials in the kidney. They may block the urinary system in extreme cases and cause pain. Citric acid which is the main constituent of grapefruit juice can help to remove calcium stones from the kidney.
Grapefruit juice relieves from the burning sensation of fever. It helps to keep the body hydrated and helps to lower the body temperature.
Drinking a glass of grapefruit juice in the morning can prevent constipation. Grapefruit juice contains fiber and stimulates the digestion system. It eases digestive tract constriction.
You can consume grapefruit juice directly or mix it up with ingredients like carrot, apple, or ginger. One of the most popular recipes of grapefruit juice is apple cider vinegar mixed with grapefruit juice.
- Squeeze out the juice from the grapefruit in a glass. Add 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to 1 cup of grapefruit juice and mix well. You can add honey as per your taste.
- Another interesting recipe of grapefruit juice is grapefruit, carrot and ginger juice.
- Peel two grapefruits remove their pith and chop them. Chop 5 carrots and ginger. Put all the ingredients in a juicer and extract the juice. Take out in a glass, stir well and enjoy your juice.
Side Effects of Grapefruit Juice
- Including grapefruit in your diet is very beneficial. But if you already take medicines which lower your cholesterol levels then the consumption of grapefruit juice must be avoided as it will lower cholesterol to an abnormal level. Before taking grapefruit juice, it is better to consult your physician if you are on certain medications.
- Being high in citric acid content, excess of grapefruit may lead to the erosion of the tooth enamel. People with sensitive teeth should avoid it.
- Grapefruit can inhibit the breakdown of several drugs. This can lead to high blood pressure levels. It can also interact with several drugs like painkillers, antihistamines and steroids.
- Too much grapefruit juice may lead to diarrhea.
- During birth control, it can lead to nausea and breast tenderness.
- Excessive drinking of grapefruit juice may lead to breast cancer.
Grapefruit is a very essential fruit to include in our diet. It is a hub of nutrients and its consumption leads to many benefits. However, proper care must be taken while consuming grapefruit juice, as an excess of everything is always bad and harmful.