Vitamin C has been used as a remedy for home abortion since 1970’s. It is however not a well-known fact among women. Vitamin C has ascorbic acid that can induce miscarriage and even prevent conception. Mega dose of vitamin C can prevent your chances of becoming a mother. The acidity in Vitamin C is responsible for this.
Vitamin C is usually helpful during pregnancy. Usually doctors advice on including Vitamin C in the pregnancy diet. It contains antioxidants that help your body to fight infections. Vitamin C also protects your body cells from any damage. But taken in large quantity, Vitamin C can make your body unable to conceive.
Read more: Vitamin K During Pregnancy
How can Vitamin C Prevent Pregnancy?
Vitamin C contains ascorbic acid. This acid represses the release of progesterone hormones. This hormone is essential for preparing your uterus for conception. If your body does not release sufficient progesterone hormone, the uterus will not be prepared for conception. Progesterone nourishes a bed for the fertilized egg. Lack of this hormone will prevent the implantation of the egg in the uterus. The acidity of Vitamin C prevents your chance of conception in this way.
Read more: 11 Benefits of Taking Prenatal Vitamins
What can an overdose do?
An overdose of vitamin C can also make your vagina extremely acidic. An acidic region is unhealthy for sperms. If your vaginal area is very acidic, the sperms cannot live. Acidity kills the sperms immediately. The sperms need an environment which is more alkaline than acidic. Vitamin C increases the acidity and reduces the alkali of your body. This prevents conception chances.
Read more: Vaginal Douching- Can it Prevent Pregnancy?
Can it cause miscarriage?
If you are already pregnant, Vitamin C can induce miscarriage as well. Vitamin C is able to weaken the grip of the fertilized ovum on the uterus. If the egg cannot attach to the uterine wall, it can cause miscarriage. The acidity of Vitamin C interferes with the production of estrogen hormone. It creates an imbalance in the sex hormones of your body and cause miscarriage. Vitamin C is therefore a natural emergency contraceptive if it is taken before ovulation starts.
Read more: Early Signs of Miscarriage
How else can it impact?
Vitamin C is also known to initiate menstrual bleeding. Typically menstruation cycle occurs every 28 days in most women. Vitamin C can start your menstruation earlier than expected. A high dose of Vitamin C can decrease the amount of progesterone and increase the amount of estrogen hormone in your body. Reduction in progesterone level relaxes the uterus and induces menstruation. Also, increase in estrogen can make your uterus contract and affect your pregnancy.
How to use Vitamin C to prevent pregnancy?
- Vitamin C tablets can be placed inside the vagina just before having unprotected intercourse. These tablets will dissolve and make the region acidic. Acidity kills the sperms immediately upon ejaculation. You can place two non-chewable 500 mg Vitamin C tablets inside your vagina right before intercourse.
- You can also put the tablets immediately after having unprotected intercourse. Doing this twice daily for at least 3 days will ensure that you do not conceive. Soothe area with aloe vera gel if it causes any irritation.
- Vitamin C capsules or tablets can be ingested internally for avoiding pregnancy. These tablets work like the “morning after” contraceptive pills. Taking 1500 mg of pure Vitamin C twice daily for 3 days will prevent conception. Make sure that it is pure Vitamin C and not adulterated with rosehip. Rosehip will actually help in making you conceive.
- Natural vitamin C can be used in the form of lemon juice to prevent pregnancy. Lemon juice has been a popular home remedy for abortion for many centuries. The ascorbic acid is high in lemons. Drinking a lot of lemon juice every day might lower your chances of conceiving. If you are pregnant, lemon juice can induce miscarriage.
- Foods like young papaya, jaggery, sugarcane, pineapple and parsley have high Vitamin C content. Including this in your regular diet can induce miscarriage. Sesame seeds, groundnuts and cinnamon are also rich in Vitamin C.
Read more: 31 Natural Ways to Avoid Pregnancy at Home
What are the benefits of Vitamin C?
- Vitamin C is rich in antioxidant that prevents the disease scurvy.
- The acidity of vitamin C helps to fight and prevent common cold. It increases your body’s immunity power.
- Vitamin C is extremely useful in treating hypertension. It helps to reduce high blood pressure.
- Vitamin C can also treat eye problems and promote healthy eyesight.
- Another benefit of Vitamin C is that it prevent stroke.
- It can cure asthma and also cure diabetes.
- Repairing wounds is another beneficial aspect of this vitamin.
- It is also known to reduce the risk of cancer.
- Vitamin C can also lower the amount of lead in your blood and combat lead toxicity.
What are the side effects of Vitamin C?
- Vitamin C can cause diarrhea if taken in large quantity for a regular period.
- It can also cause nausea and vomiting as side effects in many women.
- Vitamin C is known to result in heartburn in many women as a consequence of overdose.
- Abdominal bloating and cramps are also common side effects.
- Sometimes consuming too much of vitamin C can lead to a severe headache.
- Insomnia is also one side effect of excess dosage of vitamin C.
- A kidney stone is a serious consequence of overdosing on vitamin C.
Vitamin C is an essential vitamin. It has several health benefits. Regular intake of Vitamin C in any form, food or supplements, can boost your immunity and cure many illnesses. An amount of 75 mg is recommended by medical practitioners to promote overall health. But overdose of vitamin C can have many serious consequences. One of that is Vitamin C can prevent pregnancy.
High dose of Vitamin C on a regular basis can disrupt your hormonal balance. It can make your uterus unsuitable for conceiving. Vitamin C can also cause miscarriages if you are already pregnant. It has been a traditional remedy for contraceptive purposes. Nowadays the use of vitamin C to prevent pregnancy is not that popular among women. If you want to use Vitamin C to avoid pregnancy or have an abortion, best to consult your doctor on the safe dosage.