Some of the natural home remedies to get rid of baby acne include coconut oil for baby acne, application of cornstarch, breast milk for baby acne, vinegar treatment, avoid chemical detergents, nursing mother to change diet, power of honey and lemon, avoid moisturizing the area, namely.
What is Baby Acne?
Baby acne is also known as neonatal acne and it affects newborn babies, especially infants around 2 months old. It is not a serious problem and therefore not a cause for concern. It automatically subsides in due course. Around 20% infants are affected by baby acne, which breaks out as pimples and tiny, red and white bumps on the skin.
Baby acne occurs mainly on the face area and not on the legs, chest or arms. When a newborn baby gets a breakout, new mothers often get anxious and consult a doctor. Invariably, doctors prescribe some topical treatment. However, there is no need to get stressed about baby acne. It gets cured naturally.
If you still want to give your little angel some relief, use a home remedy instead of a topical treatment. Remember newborn babies have very delicate skin and no mother wants her young one to get exposed to concentrated medications at such a tender age.
What Causes Baby Acne?
New mothers have to deal with a lot of issues when it comes to their babies. If sleepless nights and changing nappies are not enough, sometimes babies get acne due to transfer of hormones from the mother to the baby. This transfer occurs through placenta. Hormones are indeed important for development of organs, but they are also responsible for increasing the oil content in the skin. When the sebum in the skin increases in your baby, it leads to neonatal acne. It takes almost four weeks for baby acne to appear on a newborn’s skin and it is at its peaks when the baby is about two months old.
Read More: 11 Home Remedies For Treating Scars In Kids
How Long Does Baby Acne Last?
Though baby acne does not cause any kind of problem to the baby and clears off on its own, most mothers are concerned about it and the time it takes to clear up. It takes only a few weeks or a couple of months for neonatal acne to subside. A baby can have this skin condition till the age of six months.
If your baby has this skin condition, you may want to try some of the following home remedies. These remedies are a much better choice than topical medication that the doctor will prescribe. They have no side effects and use natural ingredients to soothe and clear up the skin.
1. Power of Coconut Oil to Heal Baby Acne
Nothing can beat the soothing effect of coconut oil has on a baby’s skin. It acts as a hydrating agent for the skin and provides great results in case of baby acne. Just ensure you buy organic coconut oil that is unrefined. This type of oil also is known as extra virgin coconut oil.
Just put a few drops on some cotton wool and apply four times a day on your baby’s skin. Since it is chemical-free and natural, you have nothing to worry about. And, you will see a difference in a couple of days.
2.Cornstarch with Natural Drying Properties
Every kitchen has cornstarch and you don’t have to go too far to find this home remedy for neonatal acne. Cornstarch can dry skin naturally. Just mix it with a little water and apply on the affected area. It will work wonders on your baby’s sebaceous glands. Ensure you apply only a thin layer and let it dry.
Keep it for almost an hour and wash with the help of warm water. Apply it once a day and you will see positive results in the next two to three days.
3. Breast Milk, The Natural Elixir, for Baby Acne
There is no substitute for breast milk. It is the nourishment that makes your baby strong and gives him or her ability to fight common ailments. Breast milk also works wonders with baby acne. Soak a cotton ball in some breast milk and apply on the affected area three to four times a day. Many mothers notice a difference immediately after application of the milk.
4. Vinegar Treatment for Baby Acne
Vinegar is a great treatment to cure baby acne. It is supposed to kill the bacteria present on the skin and soak up unwanted oil. There are pre-made vinegars for baby acne available readily in the market. You can buy those or make your own solution at home. Since a baby’s skin is very delicate and sensitive, remember never to use concentrated vinegar. It will burn your baby’s skin. So, mix one part vinegar in ten parts water. Use a cotton ball to dab this solution on the affected area.
Don’t apply this solution on her complete face right away. Instead first apply on the inner part of the wrist to see whether your baby reacts adversely. If the skin turns red or inflamed, do not use this home remedy on your baby.
5. The Power of Honey and Lemon
Lemon and honey both have an outstanding effect on the skin. In fact, they are considered the best treatment for delicate skin and what can be more delicate than your baby’s skin!
6. Change in Diet of Nursing Mothers
To clear up your baby’s skin, you would have to make some sacrifices. Change your diet and stop drinking dandelion tea, cut down on dairy products, sugar and citrus fruits. These food items can have negative effects on a baby’s skin. Reduce your intake of anything too sweet or sour and you will find your baby’s acne automatically starts subsiding.
7. Don’t Moisturize the Affected Area
Baby acne emerges mostly on the baby’s face, especially the forehead, chin and cheeks. Since the skin already has so much oil, it is counterproductive to apply an oil or oil-based moisturizer.
Instead, try and keep your baby’s skin clear of any oil by cleaning the face with cotton wool soaked in warm water. Give your baby a daily bath, as usual, but refrain from moisturizing the skin.
8. Don’t Use Chemical Detergents
Don’t use any fabric conditioner or chemical-laden detergents. Instead, clean your baby’s clothes with natural, organic detergent. Sometimes clothes also affect a baby’s skin and this can go unnoticed by mothers. Try doing this and you will definitely see changes in your baby’s skin condition.
How to get rid of baby acne: Quick Tips
- Do not equate baby acne with adolescent acne. One should never prick, pinch or pop baby acne.
- Avoid using strong topical creams and solutions containing salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide.
- Never ever use astringents on baby skin.
- Don’t apply lotions that can clog the pores. Instead of using a moisturizing lotion, opt for an oil-free moisturizing baby wash till acne clears. If the baby has very dry skin, apply a very little amount of baby moisturizing lotion and that too on the body and not the face.
- It is important to keep drying baby’s face after drooling or spitting. If moisture stays for long around the mouth, it can worsen the acne on the chin. Make your child wear a bib always to clean the face frequently.
- Ensure your baby does not scratch her or his skin till baby acne is there. Even if the baby wears mittens and scratches the face, chances of serious skin infection increases.
- Mothers who are breastfeeding should avoid having too many fruits, especially fruits that are too sweet. Citrus fruits like oranges have a tendency to cause skin allergies in infants.
- Whenever using any home remedy on a baby’s skin, do a patch test for allergy first. If there is a sign of irritation, don’t use the remedy.
- Check for rashes and acne elsewhere on the baby’s body. Baby acne usually appears on the face, but if it appears elsewhere in the body, immediately consult your doctor. It can be cradle cap or eczema.
Read More: 11 Tips For Taking Care Of Your Kids Skin
Follow these natural home remedies for baby acne and see how quickly they produce results and give back your baby her or his soft, smooth skin.