Children get hurt. That is something obvious. But the scars remain for life. Sometimes they fade. But some facial scars stay forever. When your child’s skin is hurt, the fibrous tissues heal by themselves; this lead to the formation of a scar.
Many things cause scar on your child’s skin. Injuries create scars. Insect bites or burns. Any kind of piercing or surgical cuts also leaves a mark. If your child has suffered from chickenpox or measles then also it might have left certain scars on his/her body. Other than that, the scars of vaccinations are always there.
Scars tend to fade away with time. But for some, the scars create psychological problems as it damages the appearance. For that reason, you can adopt some home remedies which will help your child to heal the scar. However, before applying any of the remedies, make sure that the affected area is neatly cleaned. Also make sure that there are no chances of infection.
The following are the home remedies which you can use to treat scars.
11 Natural Ways To Remove Scars in Kids
Apply Aloe Vera
- Firstly you should peel the outer green layer of an aloe vera leaf. Then scoop out the gel like substance.
- Then apply the gel on your child’s scarred are, in circular motion.
- Keep it applied on the scar for at least half-n-hour.
- Apply twice on a daily basis.
- However, do not apply it on open wound.
Coconut oil has antioxidants and also Vitamin E. Thus it accelerates the healing process. The different acids found in coconut helps in the healing process.
- Heat the oil in order to liquefy the process.
- Apply the warm oil on the palm and then message in on the affected area.
- Keep on rubbing it for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Repeat the process for 2 to 4 times in a day till fades away.
Vitamin E Oil
Vitamin E oil has antioxidants. It moisturizes and hydrates the skin.
- Break open the Vitamin E capsule to get the oil.
- Apply the oil on the scar of your child and massage it for at least 10 minutes.
- Keep it applied for 15 to 20 minutes
- Wash it with warm water.
- Repeat the process many times a day.
- However, make sure that your child is not allergic to vitamin E oils.
Olive oil also removes scars very effectively. It is also rich in vitamin E.
- Warm some extra-virgin olive oil.
- Massage it on the affected area in circular motion.
- Keep it applied for 30 minutes or so.
- Then wipe it off with a clean piece of cloth.
You can also mix lavender oil with the olive oil.
- Warm the mixture a bit.
- Apply the mixture on area and massage for few minutes
- Keep it applied for at least 20 to 30 minutes
- Then at the end, rinse it well with lukewarm water.
Lemon is rich in ultra hydroxyl acid. This acid has the healing property as far as any type of scars is concerned. It also improves your child’s skin elasticity. Lemon is also good for new skin growth.
- Apply some lemon juice on the affected area.
- If your child is sensitive to lemon juice, then dilute it in water, by a bit.
- You can also add rose water if you want.
- Keep it applied for 10 minutes
- Then wash it off with warm water.
- Repeat the process once daily until the scar fades.
Lemon can make your child’s skin photosensitive. So, make sure that your child does not go directly in the sun, after applying the lemon juice.
Read More: Health Benefits of Lemon for Babies
Honey moisturizes your child’s skin, naturally. Thus it is an effective remedy to treat scars. Honey also prevents the accumulation of the dead skins.
- After applying honey on the scar, cover it with bandage.
- Leave it overnight.
- Wash it off with warm water, the next morning.
- Repeat the process daily.
- You can also scrub honey and crystallized sugar on the scar. Then rinse it with warm water.
Apple Cider Vinegar
The acidic property of apple cider vinegar helps in the treatment of scars. It also triggers the growth of new skin for your child. Thus it effectively covers the scar. Apple cider vinegar also balances the ph level of your little one’s skin.
- Mix apple cider vinegar with water.
- Soak the mixture in a cotton ball.
- Then dab it slowly on your child’s affected area.
- You can make a mixture with honey and apple cider vinegar and apply it on your child’s scar. Leave the mixture applied for 30 minutes. Then wash it off with lukewarm water.
Cocoa butter also has the property of moisturizing the affected area, by a great extent. It reaches out to the deeper level of your child’s skin and helps re-growth of new skins. It is also rich in vitamin E. This aids in skin repair.
- Apply some cocoa butter on the scar.
- Massage it gently in circular motion.
- Leave it overnight.
- Wash it on the next day with lukewarm water.
- Repeat the process till your child’s scar fades away.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil also provides an option for effective home remedy. It can also improve the texture of your child’s skin.
- Mix two drops of tea tree oil with a spoonful of water.
- Use this solution and rub on the affected area.
- Repeat the process around 2 to 3 times each day.
- You can also mix tea tree oil in almond oil and wash off the affected area.
- Make a mixture with sandalwood dust and any good carrier oil.
- Then soak a cotton ball in that mixture.
- Dab the cotton ball on the scar.
- Keep on repeating the treatment, twice on a daily basis.
Other Remedies & Precautions:
Other than the stated remedies, you can also use green tea, toothpaste, crushed aspirin tablets, and fish oil supplements. Rose water is also a very effective scar remover.
However, make sure that you apply none of the above mentioned things on open wounds. The suggestions are given for helping the scars fade away and not for treating the wound. Also make sure that your child is not allergic to certain things you are applying to cure the scar. That will cause extra irritation and inflammation.