Drumstick is known to all of us as it is a traditional vegetable mostly found in south India. It is used in maximum of the food items prepared in south that is sambar, dal, rasam etc. it tastes delicious and much more than that it is beneficial for health as well.
Structure and function
We get drumstick from the drumstick tree which is also known as moringa tree. It is a very fast growing tree, deciduous tree that can reach a height of 10-12 m and trunk diameter of 45cm. the bark has a whitish grey colour and is surrounded by thick cork. The tree has a open crown of dropping, fragile branches and the leaves build up a feathery foliage of tripinnate leaves.
The bark, sap, roots, leaves, seeds and flowers are used in traditional medicine. Research has examined how it might affect blood lipid profiles, although it is not effective at diagnosing, treating, or preventing any human diseases. Extracts from leaves contain low contents of polyphenols which are under basic research for their potential properties. Despite considerable preliminary research on the biological properties of moringa components, these are few high quality studies on humans to justify its use to treat human disease.
Effects of drumsticks
Various adverse effects may occur from consuming moringa bark, roots, or flowers and their extracts, as these components contain chemicals that appear to be toxic when eaten. Moringa has been used safely in doses up to 6 grams daily for up to three weeks.
Uses of moringa
Moringa has the potential to improve nutrition, boost food, security, foster rural development, and support sustainable landcare. It may be used forage for livestock, a micronutrient liquid, a natural anthelmintic, and possible adjuvant.
Health Benefits from Drumstick
We all have had drumstick usually in dal or some kind of sabjis but many of us don’t even know that other than taste what it does to our body. It tastes awesome and more than that we do enjoy the vegetable a lot, other than this it is very healthy also. It is a remedy to many health issues and it is getting popular day by day because of its health benefit.
Bioactive compounds in moringa leaves gets connected with the bodys active molecules to bring about improvements in health. In particular the leaves of moringa are rich in nutrition, including vitamin B6 and C, riboflavin, beta- carotene, and magnesium.
Some of the health benefits of drumsticks are as follows:
1. For your heart
The Moringa leaf play a very vital role in controlling the heart problems. As it contains antiflammatory properties which help in dealing heart blockages.
2. For hypertension
Moringa leaves contain a compound that helps the body maintain alkalinity. Many of the side effects of high blood sugar results from acid- base imbalance.
3. For hypertension
Moringa leaves contain a compound that helps the body For cholesterol: Moringa leaf has an great impact in balancing cholesterol in the body.
4. For ulcers
One experience ulcer when the amount of acid is more in one’s body.the nutrient rich and body alkalizing moringa leaf powder helps counterbalance the acid creating effects of an unhealthy diet.
Now, talking about kids, they need a lot of nutrition and proper vitamins for their growth. While offering moringa to the kids its very necessary to know that better to have the powder than to have the fresh leaves. Powder is preferred more over the fresh leaves because powder contains 10 times more nutrition and is also rich in amino acid. It contains antioxidants and anti- inflammatory compounds. Along with that the powder contains brilliant source of minerals such as iron, calcium, all vitamin A,C and E.
Every child requires proper nutrients during their growth, their body needs for proper nourishment and care. The nutrients present in moringa powder helps in growth of bone and muscles. It also promotes brain development and healthy skin and hair. And the best part is that you can use the powder with any food item like salad, or the food items which the child usually take. Just like haldi moringa can also be used to your child skin directly.
Morings’s benefits in a child’s diet
As we came up with so many health benefits moringa does to a child or an adult.we will come across some more of the health benefits it does to the child.
- Boosts energy: packed with vitamins and nutrients moringa will certainly boost your child’s energy level. A growing child requires a lot of energy. Energy is needed to fuel the child’s growth.
- Improves immunity: moringa is known for its potential to improve the immunity of your child. It will help them to fight bacteria.
- Promotes metabolism: during the growth stage the metabolism of your child is at its peak. However whenever they’ll fall ill or may face any sort of problem their metabolism fells instantly. Since moringa is a mineral rich vitamin it does help there too.
- Develops cell structure: moringa contains amino acid, this protein component in moringa makes it an ideal food to ensure strong and sustainable cell development of the child.
- Healthy kidney and liver : moringa has a great detoxifying potential. Because of this reason it has a positive impact in your childs kidney and liver.
- Fights infection: moringa is known for its antiflammatory properties. If a child suffers any kind of infection moringa will help to fight that infection in a long run.
- Improves eyes: if a child is constantly exposed to electronics audio- video mediums then there is high chance of him or her might suffer from eye related problems, moringa contains a good source of vitamin which will help boosting the child’s eye.
- Heals wounds and cuts: usually children loves running around , playing a lot and so do they receive cuts and wonds but that is nothing to worry about as using moringa powder will make it easier to heal the wonds and cut faster.
- Good for skin: moringa contains vitamin A,C and E which improves child’s overall skin health as well. It helps to get rid of rashes and irritation which happens to the child.
- Treats mood swing: well, mood swings are something which a child goes through too. The phase of growth leads to a lot of ups and downs to a child’s emotional health. Moringa ensures that the child suffer from less of the mood swings.
- Improves hair: moringa contains the exact vitamins and the amino acid which are required for the formation of the keratin protein. This protein tends to be a critical component ensuring hair growth among children.