What is Mastitis? It is an infection in the breast where breastfeeding women come under the pump. Breastfeeding women more often than not fall prey to it .The symptoms may range, from inflammation, pain in the breasts, swelling etc. This could be accompanied by bouts of chill or fever.
No need to lose hope as some effective home remedies are available for mastitis treatment. On a serious note, if the problem persists for a prolonged period and you face difficulty in breastfeeding your baby then consult your doctor immediately.
Home Remedies for Mastitis
Are you trying to figure out which are the various home remedies for mastitis treatment. If you nod in an affirmative, hereby are the top 7 home remedies for mastitis that every nursing mother needs to be aware. All of them have a proven success ratio, so you can apply them without any hiccups.
Is one of the easiest and simplest home remedies for mastitis treatment? The milk ducts are unblocked and swelling in your breast tissues will be a by goner.
- Massage oil with a combination of apricot oil along with white germ is to be prepared. You would need to massage your breast in the form of upward strokes. This home based remedy should be tried a few times in a day.
2} Hot cold compresses
Hot and cold compresses are used to cure mastitis in women.
- For a cold compresses a few thin ice cubes could be wrapped in a towel
- A water bottle (hot) in a towel (thin) is wrapped for hot compresses.
- First the hot compresses is put on your infected breast for 10 minutes
- This is to be followed by a cold compresses for 5 minutes
This cycle is too repeated 2 to 3 times in a day.
3} Cabbage leaves
One of the sober home remedies, for mastitis in fairer sex. The presence of sulphur compounds reduces inflammation along with infection. In addition for the nursing mothers they can unblock the milk ducts
- A few leaves of cabbage is to be placed in the fridge for a couple of hours
- Then the cold cabbage leaf needs to be applied on the infected breast
For effective results, this process needs to be performed till the infection has healed completely.Read More: 5 Essential Oils to Increase Milk Supply
The presence of antibiotic (natural) properties makes garlic an effective home based remedy.
- Just munch in a couple of garlic the first thing in the morning. If you want to take it more all the more welcome! If the taste of garlic does not appeal to it, you can combine it with orange juice or water. It needs to be followed an entire week for favourable results
- Garlic supplements could be consumed, but expert opinion of a doctor are recommended.
Is one of the effective herbal remedies for mastitis treatment? This treatment wards off infections and your immune system is enhanced.
- The infected area should be washed 4 to 5 times in a day with the herb. Before the baby is being feed, the area needs to be properly washed with lukewarm water
- To a glass of water you can add 3 to 4 drops of tincture. You could consume it 3 to 4 times during a week.
6} Fenugreek seeds
As per ancient Ayurveda texts, Fenugreek seeds are an effective cure against breast infection
- Fenugreek seeds (3 teaspoons) need to be soaked in water overnight. The next morning you could grind them. The paste needs to be transferred onto a cloth and put in a microwave. The warm compresses then need to be applied on the infected region. For a couple of weeks this home remedy needs to be followed for better results
- Two times a time a cup of Fenugreek tea can be enjoyed as an alternate remedy
7} Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is empowered with healing powers and pain relief mechanisms (natural) this can reduce the infection of your breasts
- An aloe Vera gel is to be taken
- On an infected area the gel is to be applied
- It is going to dry on its own
- It is be washed off with warm water and dried with a soft towel
For better results, repeat this remedy a few times in a week
To conclude, these are some of the popular home remedies for treatment of mastitis. You can adopt them immediately and for positive results it is to be continued for a couple of months. But before you plan to test out any home based remedy, do seek an expert opinion of your doctor.Read More: Health Benefits of Aloe Vera Juice for Women and Kids