Summer can be a wonderful time to de-stress and relax but It can be a nightmare for parents with kids at home all day, with unbridled energy but not enough productive ways to channel it. Parents often get annoyed with the over-enthusiasm of the kids and run out of fun task ideas or chores to keep the kids busy. So what do you do in the summer?
Make a bucket list! Here are 101 summer bucket list ideas, all of them pretty easy and do-able. These activities would serve as a family bonding exercise because most of these are group activities. You can space out these activities over the course of one and a half or two months according to what suits your schedule. Also remember, this is NOT a to-do list where you HAVE to cover every activity with perfect detail. Think of this as an idea board where you have a variety of options to do. That way, even if you do not execute all the plans, there is no stress!
Read More:35 Best Fun Indoor Games for Kids
Summer Bucket List for Kids: 101 Things to Do
Let’s jump into the fun list of possible activities!
Places to Go
Summer is the only time you can relax and take a few vacations. Hence
- Spend time at the beach, build a sandcastle, and collect seashells!
- Go fishing with your kids
- Take your kids out to the park to play
- Catch a beautiful sunset at a nearby lake
- Take your kids to a children’s museum- maybe a doll or car one!
- Be a tourist in your own city and have a day out- ice cream, pictures and all!
- Go to an amusement park and enjoy the rides!
- Visit the nearest zoo or national park to learn more about nature!
- Visit a Saturday/Sunday Farmer’s market- introduce them to small businesses and fresh produce!
- Take your kids to work one day, introduce them to the office.
- Pack a tent, supplies, and go out camping!
- Go to a nearby fair and ride a Ferris wheel, enjoy the games!
- Try a new restaurant you have been planning to!
- Attend an outdoor play or a music concert with your kids.
- Go to a baseball game!
- Chart out a plan for a road trip and have a small picnic lunch in a park on the route.
- Watch a movie at the theatre.
Read More:11 Best Typing Games for Kids
Things to make and eat!
Summer is a really good time to introduce your kids to some cooking. All these recipes are easily available and suitable for kids to make.
- Teach them how to make fresh lemonade
- Make fresh pizza
- Make and eat popsicles together!
- Make some s’mores
- Cut and eat fresh summer fruits together
- Eat breakfast for dinner- pancakes, waffles!
- Make a milkshake
- Get a treat from the ice cream truck!
- Make a dessert together!
- Let your kids plan the menu for a day.
- Make your own bread with your kids!
- Bake cookies together
- Bake a cake together for dessert!
Read More:11 Interesting Dance Games for Kids
The good thing about kids- they find a lot of simple ideas interesting. If your kid is interested in art or science-
- Make dream catchers
- Make friendship bracelets
- Read a book together
- Write a story together, in parts
- Do a fun science experiment
- Built a kaleidoscope!
- Pick up rocks and finger paint them!
- Make bookmarks for your family and friends
- Draw each other!
- Learn simple origami figures
- Start a journal
- Build a pillow fort
- Solve a crossword puzzle together
- Write an actual letter and mail it, with stamps, to someone you know
- Make a poster for your kid’s door
- Redecorate your kid’s room- let him choose curtains and an item of furniture.
- Finish a jigsaw puzzle together.
- Make paper planes and have a race!
- Host a talent show exclusively for the family
- Put on a puppet show
- Enact a small play
- Compose a song together
- Play a new board game
- Teach them chess
- Teach them a few simple card games
- Have a movie marathon with one family member choosing one movie
Read More: Indoor Activity For Toddler – Bag of beans
Some outdoor fun ideas!
- Go rock hunting and collect interesting ones.
- Have a bonfire night
- Make and fly a kite together
- Catch fireflies in a glass jar
- Blow bubbles together
- Climb a tree
- Make and bury a time capsule
- Play Frisbee
- Plant a few seeds- could be flower or fruit trees!
- Watch a thunderstorm together
- Have a bonfire night
- Play hide and seek
- Go on a bike ride
- Make an obstacle race
- Have an egg and spoon race
- Make a bird feeder
- Repaint your mailbox
- Clean your car together
- Clean your yard together
- Run a lemonade stand and go out to dinner with the funds!
- Go out bird watching
- Go out photographing the neighborhood
- Invite your neighbors over to dinner
- Identify trees
- Identify flowers
- Identify birds
- Identify insects
Some fun ideas to do at night!
- Buy a few fireworks and watch!
- Find constellations
- Try to identify shapes in clouds
- Have a slumber party
- Camp out in your backyard
Some messy fun!
- Make tie-die handkerchiefs
- Inflate a pool and take a bath
- Finger paint a t shirt
- Run through a lawn sprinkler
- Have a water balloon fight
- Make paper water boats and race them
- Have a water gun fight
- Have a 3-legged race
- Have a sack race
Some other ideas
- Volunteer at an orphanage
- Read books under the covers
- Play a favourite song and dance!
- Spend your whole day in pajamas.