“Oh God , I missed my periods again . Is it normal ? Should I talk about it to Mom ?” , a 15 year old teen girl wonders.
Having period is one of those things for women to expect that they will occur every month. It’s part of their reproductive system that they have to deal somehow. For some, it maybe regular and for others, it maybe irregular which can strike anytime.
Periods are painful and annoying therefore none is excited about it but we realize its importance becomes worrying when it is missed. Talking about missed or irregular periods, first we should know about the regular one where the interval of a cycle is consistent which usually lasts for 28 days and range from every 20 to 35 days.
Guide for Irregular Periods in Teens
What does Irregular Period Mean?
What does irregular period means? In this the interval of cycle is not consistent which varies each month, it can come every 28 days sometimes every 20 or every 30 days. If your periods are irregular or they are missed the first thing to check is whether or not you are pregnant and it is usually one, two and three for missed periods, but if you are not pregnant and having consecutive months of missed periods then you should visit your doctor as soon as possible because it can range from something normal to serious which may require treatment.
The signs for irregular periods can be when there is time change between each period, the blood loss maybe less or more than usual. Talking precisely it can be said that the schedule, frequency or duration of your period when changes it can be irregualar hence can be missed. Is it normal?
Irregular Period: Is It Common
Having irregular periods is common; I can see this in my cycle also of my friends. According to a fact stated by gynecologist- irregular periods is a common cause for about one third of all visits and chances are you will experience that one time or another in your cycle.
Causes of Irregular Period
There are many causes for irregular periods and can vary from women to women, they are-
- Stress– having anxiety about specific problem or any emotional problem causes our body to develop stress which causes hormonal imbalance resulting in missed or irregular period. Irregular sleep cycle can also bring irregularity.
- Thyroid disease– developing an irregular cycle can be a sign that you have thyroid problem. According to doctors, when period becomes more frequent it can be hypothyroidism and when less frequent it can be hyperthyroidism. It is known that thyroid gland produces hormones that affect the body’s metabolism due to which irregularity of periods occur.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome– it is a condition in which cysts (these are number of small and fluid filled sacs) develop on ovaries (female reproductive organ). It is the most common cause for infertility so treatment should be taken as soon as possible. Also it causes increased risk of diabetes and heart disease.
- Pelvic inflammatory disease– it is an infection of reproductive organ. It causes irregular period and also lead to abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea and fever. It is a complication of sexually transmitted diseases like AIDS.
- Endometriosis– it leads to heavy and painful periods than usual.
- Extreme exercise– normal exercise is very important for our health but exercising too much can cause stress which can lead to delayed periods. Mostly seen in athletes.
- Gain or loss in weight– thin women or obese or women having anorexia can experience missed periods or absence.
- Poor diet– to avoid problems related to periods one should maintain a healthy diet with proper nutrients and calories and make sure to eat enough.
- Stopping the birth control pills– some women stop getting their period while on birth control, but even when they stop the pills the period does not return. Doctors say that the period would return after few months and advise not to use birth control pills.
What should one do to treat her irregular or missed periods?
Here are some ways to avoid this-
- Stress is the main cause for irregular cycle therefore you should try to reduce your stress by meditation or yoga and destress yourself.
- Adjust your diet by having healthy and balanced food. There are some particular foods that are helpful in regulating periods like pineapple, papaya, coconut oil.
- Too much and too little exercise can be problematic hence you should set an exercise routine as a way of reducing stress.
Well there is no issue of worrying if you miss your periods once in a blue moon but if it occurs frequently then it’s a ringing alarm that your biological system ain’t normal, something is wrong. It’s better to consult to doctor and find a way to get them back regular.