Every woman wants her pregnancy sex comfortable, pain-free and yes enjoyable. When women get her pregnancy test positive, she is excited but one question is there can I still have sex? Many women do have sex when they are pregnant; which is normal. According to a Canadian study, 58% of women reported their desire for sex increase during pregnancy. Sex may be more fun during pregnancy. Avoid sex if the previous pregnancy had preterm labor or birth and may risk the current pregnancy.
Things to Know About Cramping after Sex During Pregnancy
Effect of sex on body
It’s generally safe to have sex when pregnant. During pregnancy, sex is different and the body reacts differently to it. These are differences which are noticed-
- Swollen breasts
- Sensitive breasts
- More blood flowing to the vagina
Is having sex safe during pregnancy?
According to an article published in the canadian medical association journal, researchers concluded that sex is a safe activity during pregnancy by reviewing a variety of issues between sex and pregnancy. There is a condition for this that the pregnancy should be low risk. There are certain things which should not be ignored and talk to the doctor if-
- Risk of preterm labor or birth
- Placenta covers the opening in the cervix called as placenta previa
- Other pregnancy complications
To avoid these complications pelvic rest is usually recommended as a precaution. No need to worry about the baby because it is safe in the amniotic sac and cushioned by the uterine muscles. Along with this, the cervix and mucus plug provide an additional barrier of protection.
It will be fine if you skip sex because you are in no mood and feel sick and tired. Go with physical intimacy like kissing, cuddling, hugging and spending quality time with your partner.
Reasons for contractions
During and after sex contractions may be felt. They occur after orgasm or intercourse. This happens usually which is normal such as braxton-hicks contractions. These occur because of the following reasons-
- During orgasm, the body releases oxytocin, which makes muscles to contract
- Semen contains prostaglandins that trigger uterine contractions
- During pregnancy the nipples become sensitive. If the partner stimulates the nipples during sex, contractions might occur
- During sex, the body is in motion so the physical activity and different positions may also cause contractions.
- Stimulation of genitals.
To avoid these contractions, perform these-
- Lie down
- Take a warm shower
- Drink a glass of water
Contractions are normal and mild during sex and generally resolve within hours. Also no need to worry much because they are harmless and don’t usually lead to premature labor or birth.
Talk to the doctor, if the women experience discomfort during or after sex and with this there is-
According to research, women between 50 to 60% worry that pregnancy sex could harm the baby. Sex during pregnancy doesn’t cause miscarriage. The partner’s penis will never reach the baby because the baby’s not in the vagina instead it is within the strong walls of the uterus which is behind the cervix and surrounded by amniotic fluid. Some sex positions are given by doctors like women-on-top, side-by-side and doggie style which are suitable for pregnant women for intercourse.
Things to be avoided
As it is seen that sex is safe during pregnancy, but there are few activities that should be avoided which are given by the nemours foundation, includes the following-
- During oral make sure the partner doesn’t blow air into the vagina because doing this, there is a risk for developing an air embolism which could be fatal for the women and also for the baby.
- Make sure to be aware of the sex history of the partner, practice safe sex to avoid contracting sexually transmitted infections (sti’s). These infections could affect the baby.
- Avoid anal sex, unless the doctor permits to do so.
- Avoid lying flat on the back after the fourth month, as it puts pressure on major blood vessels.
People know about the pleasure of sex but they don’t know the pain, which can take away the pleasure. Cramping is just a type of pain which occur after sex which is normal to experience.
It is safe and healthy to have sex during pregnancy as long as there is no high-risk pregnancy. For a healthy baby, the doctor may advice avoiding sex if these are experienced-
Pregnant women experience cramps after sex because the orgasms can set off contractions in the womb leading to cramps. This is especially common in the third trimester of pregnancy.
Treatment for cramps caused by after sex inlcude-
- Pain relieving medication which are-
- Naproxen sodium
- Apply heat to increase blood flow and circulation which reduce abdominal cramping with-
- Hot bath
- Heating pad
- Hot water bottle
- Other supplements which ease tension in the muscles, lessening cramping and pain in the diet such as-
- Vitamin e
- Omega 3 fatty acids
- Vitamin b 1 (thiamine)
- Vitamin b 6
- Relax the body by exercising, stretching, yoga, deep breathing and meditation which help to ease the pain. Also alleviated by resting with the feet up.
- Avoid drinking alcohol and smoking, these make cramps worse. Drink lots of extra fluids.
Cramping after sex is not a cause for concern, the pain can be relieved by medications and relaxation techniques. If there is a serious problem then contact the doctor.
Make sure not to get confused between premature labor and contractions which are experienced after sex. Premature labor is that labor which starts more than three weeks before the expected due date. The signs and symptoms which occur are-
- Pain and pressure in the pelvis
- Increased vaginal discharge of fluid or blood
- Nausea, vomiting or diarrhea
- Fewer foetal movements
- Contractions in an hour that don’t go away with rest
Getting cramps during sex is very natural and no need to worry. They will go within two to three hours, if not then contact the doctor. The cramps can be treated with medications and relaxing techniques.