A chiropractor is considered as a health care professional who is specialized in the treatment and diagnosis of neuromuscular disorders. The treatment is generally done through manual adjustment and manipulation of the spine. According to most people, chiropractors simply treat neck and back pain, but they can also treat migraines, lower back pain, pain which is associated with arthritis, sprains, and work and sports injuries.
Chiropractors generally do not prescribe medicines, but they may prescribe adjustments, joint taping, exercises or stretches, soft-tissue therapy. Many women experience lower back and hip pains or aches during their pregnancy. And the only solution is the visit to a chiropractor. Here in this article, we will know about the safety and health benefits of a chiropractor during pregnancy. But before that, let’s know about some relevant details regarding this topic.
Firstly, we will know if a pregnant woman can go to a chiropractor or not.
Can a pregnant woman go to a chiropractor?
It is important to know that chiropractic care doesn’t involve surgery or drugs. It is considered to be a complementary medical practice to treat the problems with the musculoskeletal system. But it is mainly spine care. This physical therapy promotes health throughout the body and reduces spinal nerve stress. Complications are rare in this therapy.
It is believed to be safe during pregnancy. But there are also some circumstances that are proved to be not safe. It is necessary to consult with your doctor before visiting a chiropractor. Chiropractic therapy is not recommended if any pregnant woman is experiencing any of the following condition:
1) ectopic pregnancy
2) vagina bleeding
3) moderate to severe toxemia
4) placenta abruption
Chiropractors generally use adjusting tables to accommodate pregnant women’s bellies. They should always use helpful techniques not to put pressure on the abdomen. Chiropractors suggest effective stretches also to relieve tension and ease comfort.
Now, let’s focus on its safety.
Is it safe?
There are no known contradictions regarding chiropractic care during pregnancy. All chiropractors are trained to work with pregnant women. Some chiropractors are specialized in prenatal and postnatal care, so they seek additional specialized training. A woman’s center-of-gravity shifts to the front of her pelvis, which often results in discomfort in the lower back and an added pain. It will be helpful for you to visit a chiropractor for coping with these changes throughout your pregnancy.
Sciatica is considered to be a condition that is commonly stimulated by pregnancy, involves pain that radiates from the lower back all the way down the legs. Chiropractic care can help you in this condition.
When should a pregnant woman start going to the chiropractor?
There are certain endocrinological and psychological changes that occur for preparing a suitable environment for the developing baby. A protruding abdomen, pelvic changes of postural adaptation can result in a misaligned spine or joints. If any pregnant woman experiences such a condition, then she should obtain chiropractic care during pregnancy to establish pelvic balance and alignment.
A misaligned pelvis may reduce the number of rooms available for the developing baby. It may also difficult for the baby to get the best position for delivery. This can affect the mother’s ability to have a non-invasive and natural birth. The chiropractic care keeps the spine aligned that helps the entire body to work properly and more effectively.
Now let’s know about the amazing health benefits of chiropractic care during pregnancy.
Benefits of chiropractic care during pregnancy
Regular chiropractic care provides a lot of useful health benefits to pregnant women. It not only facilitates a smooth pregnancy and treats specific pains but also controls the potential distress that is caused by headaches, morning sickness, etc.
- Eases the birth and labor: The chiropractic therapy can lessen the time that a pregnant woman may take to deliver her child. It also eases the birth process by treating the alignment of the mother’s hips, spine. This therapy assures the mother that all her muscles and organs are working correctly.
- Helpful in combating pregnancy aches: Relaxation of the ligament may be caused by pregnancy hormones. A pregnant woman’s growing belly affects negatively her spinal curvature. These conditions often lead to back pain and other aches in the body. Chiropractic therapy is proved to be very helpful in diminishing such aches to a large extent.
- Reduces pregnancy symptoms: Most of the pregnant women experience certain pregnancy symptoms such as nausea, fatigue, headache due to the hormonal changes during pregnancy. Chiropractic can considerably reduce such conditions. It is highly effective in the situation when an irritated nerve or unbalanced vertebrae cause headache or vomiting.
- Great for overall health: Chiropractic care makes the necessary adjustments to the muscles and joints which results in enabling the body to restore itself. By removing the obstructions to the spinal column nerves, it fosters the normal functioning of the body. This therapy provides a healthier pregnancy while extending a remedy to the common problems ailing the body of the mother.
- Beneficial for the baby’s position: Chiropractic therapy positively affects the positioning of the baby for birth. The baby may end up sideways if the lower spine and hips are not properly aligned at the time of delivery. This situation often results in certain possible complications such as breech or posterior position. Chiropractic care helps to balance the mother’s pelvis which may allow the ideal positioning.
Safety regarding chiropractic care
If any pregnant woman experiences hip, back or joint pain, and she’s thinking about visiting a chiropractor, then she should consult with her doctor first. The doctor can suggest a qualified chiropractor in her area. The doctor can also advise the mother if the chiropractic care is safe for her and her baby-to-be or not.
If the doctor gives her the green light regarding the therapy, then she can go for chiropractic care without any hesitation, for pain relief during her pregnancy. Chiropractic care is believed to an effective and safe practice during pregnancy.
But circumstances may occur, which can be an indication that chiropractic care is not appropriate for the mother and the baby. If the mother experience vaginal bleeding, cramping, sudden pelvic pain, premature labor, placenta abruption, severe toxemia, ectopic pregnancy, she should stop the therapy immediately. The use of electric modalities like ultrasound and stimulation may cause contradictions, so these should be avoided during pregnancy.
Now, we will know if chiropractic care can hurt the unborn baby or not.
Can a chiropractor hurt the unborn baby?
There is no such research to suggests that chiropractic care can harm a pregnant woman or her fetus. It is considered to be an option for the treatment of pain. It is particularly important for pregnant women because they can’t use any pain medications during pregnancy, as those can adversely affect their baby.
Chiropractic care not only gives pain relief to the mother but also can be advantageous for the developing child. A misaligned pelvis can create difficulties for the fetus to grow and move inside the abdomen. But a balanced pelvis, assisted by regular chiropractic care helps the pregnant woman to have a routine and quick delivery.
But some women choose to continue treatment even after their delivery. It is important to take advice from your doctor before taking any step. Some other factors like fluid retention, weight gain, muscle stretching during pregnancy, which lead to musculoskeletal discomfort in pregnant women, such problems can be resolved also by chiropractic care.