Canker sores generally called as mouth ulcers or aphthous ulcers are tough to deal with and children face many problems because of it. Children usually complain it as pain in mouth. They form inside of the cheeks, tongue or lips. They are often in grey color punched out in center and a white or yellow edge which is again surrounded by redness.
Causes of Canker Sores
The causes of canker sores are
- They can be triggered due to minor injuries in mouth from rough food or biting oneself while chewing or while brushing.
- They can be caused due to food allergies.
- Sometimes they can be genetic.
- Vitamin deficiency can also be the main reason for canker sores
- Sometimes the cause is unknown.
- They can also be caused due to Herpes Simplex Virus/Cold sore virus. They are infectious and can be caused to children due to getting kissed by an adult who are suffering from cold sores. And they are pretty dangerous and can cause more than 10 ulcers at a time in the mouth.
- Sometimes it is due to Cold Sores Fever Blisters. They are found on the outer lips.
- Intake of hot foods may also cause sores. So it is better to take care of the food taken by children.
- Lack of vitamin B12, folic acid or iron is another cause for mouth ulcers. So children’s diet should be properly planned in such a way that their diet is rich in vitamin B12, folic acid or iron.
Symptoms of Canker Sores
- They are small ulcers with white center and red border.
- Size is less than 6mm.
- They usually form on inner lips and inner cheeks.
- They cause heavy pain.
Treatment of Canker Soars
Usually canker sores are common, but they shouldn’t be ignored when children are suffering with them. Canker sores shouldn’t last longer than two weeks, it is a danger signal if children are suffering from them for two weeks. These sores shouldn’t appear more than twice or thrice a year in children. So it is better to consult a doctor, if the parents had observed these signs.
Generally canker sores treat themselves and are healed in a week or two. But for kids, it is equal to hell. So here are some treatments which will give your child relief from Canker sores.
Some homemade ointments will help in treating canker sores in children naturally
- Take equal parts of water and hydrogen peroxide and apply it on sores which should be followed by applying milk of magnesia. This will heal the sore quickly
- Applying milk of magnesia regularly will help to ease the pain and heal quickly.
- Dab a paste of baking soda and water directly on the sore also helps in healing.
These natural mouthwashes will relieve the kids from canker sores easily
- Mix 2 ounces of water with 2 ounces of hydrogen peroxide, a teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of baking soda. Rinsing the mouth four times a day will speeds up the healing
- Rinsing with a mixture of a cup of warm water and half teaspoon of salt frequently will also help in healing.
Read More: Hand-Foot-and-Mouth Disease in children
Medicines containing glycerin or peroxide will help in curing the sores. Applying them regularly will heal the sores
Black tea contains tannin which helps in relieving pain. So placing the black tea bag on sores will relieve the pain.
5} Additional Care
- It is important to take care of the foods that are taken by the children. Prevent them from eating spicy or sour foods, chips.
- Use soft bristled tooth brush for children
- Avoid tooth pastes and mouthwashes that consist of Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, it is another reason for canker sores.
6} Treat with Cool Items
Apply cold liquids, ice or frozen juice bars on the sores. They will help in soothing the pain.
7} Homemade Natural Treatments
Here are some of the treatments that can be prepared with the items that are regularly used in our kitchens
- The anti-microbial properties present in honey will help the ulcer to heal faster. Apply a bit of honey on the ulcer, as it tastes good kids will like it. But honey treatment cannot be given to children who are less than 1year.
- Coconut oil, milk and water, all the three are used in soothing mouth ulcers. Coconut oil can be applied on ulcer, milk can be used to gargle and consumption of coconut water also helps in healing.
- Milk products like ghee, buttermilk and curd can be used in healing.
It is better to prevent these ulcers than treat them. It is parent’s responsibility to take good care of children so that they won’t suffer from these ulcers.