Acne or pimple is a common skin condition which occurs when the hair follicles on your skin become plugged with sebum or dead skin cells. Excess oil and dead skin cells cause blackheads, whiteheads or pimples. Most commonly ACNE appears on face, forehead, shoulders or back and it is the most common skin condition among teenagers, though people of all age groups are affected by it. Bacteria and inflammation are also contributing factors which lead in formation of acne.
Acne can be persistent and it takes time to heal and cause scars, though effective treatments are available so it is better to start treatment earlier and lower the risk of problems like acne marks and scars which lead to low self esteem and emotional turmoil among teenagers.
Best Acne Treatment For Teenage Girls
- Wash your face twice a day with products that contain topical benzoyl peroxide as the main active ingredient. Use a mild cleanser for washing your face and use your fingertips followed by rinsing your skin and with lukewarm water.
- After washing the affected area you can treat it with a topical product containing adapelene as it helps in unclogging clogged pores and prevents new breakouts. Using a pea sized amount would suffice.
- When dealing with acne, excessive scrubbing and washing can irritate the skin and worsen the acne so it is best to avoid facial scrubs, astringents and facial cleanser masks which may cause friction to the skin.
- Touching or picking pimples may lead to more breakout so it is best to not prick or touch any problem areas as pricking acne causes scarring and could also lead to infections and trigger acne.
- Wear a clean face mask everyday and wash your masks prior to wearing it for the first time. A dirty mask harbours bacteria and will cause more harm to your skin. Clean your masks after every use with hot water and laundry detergent.
- Protecting your skin from the sun is of utmost importance as prolonged exposure to sun can make the acne worse and certain medications make skin sensitive and susceptible to sun rays. It is best to apply sunscreen before stepping outdoors and protecting your skin against sun damage.
- Using topical creams or gels that contain antibiotics can be helpful to get rid of inflammatory acne that us caused by bacteria. You can also take oral supplements of Antibiotics as well.
- Using Non-comedogenic facial products for acne prone skin are a must. Right from face washes, moisturizers, and sunscreen, as well as any makeup you might wear, it is important that you use non comedogenic products which means that these products will not clog your pores. If you’re product does not have a label that says “non-comedogenic” means that it’s comedogenic.
Best Acne Treatment For Teenage Boys
- Start with a OTC over the counter topical acne treatment that are proven to treat acne and prevent it as well. There are plenty of different topical skincare products available in the market.
- Using medications that contain benzoyl peroxide and/or salicylic acid is helpful as it effectively treat acne, fight the acne vulgaris bacteria and unclog pores.
- Avoid your skin from getting in contact with Hair oils, gels, and sprays as it can cause serious issues to your skin and irritate it causing the acne to worsen, It is best to minimize your use of hair products.
- In some people consuming skim milk and dairy products and foods with a high glycemic index may trigger or exacerbate acne breakouts. Also, Protein supplements is a common trigger in teenage boys is, especially food those contain whey protein.
- Shave carefully and avoid cutting your skin. Shaving when done correctly, can help unclog your skin pores and allow your anti-acne treatment creams to penetrate the skin more effectively.
- Follow a skin care routine and wash your face twice a day also wash your face after exercising or any heavy physical activity if you get sweaty. Do not overdo it as it can cause breakout and dry skin.
- Always pat your skin gently with a clean towel after washing your face as rubbing it will irritate your skin. Also maintain a good hygiene.
There are plenty of home remedies for acne treatment in teens and some of them are as follows:-
- Applying apple cider vinegar to the skin may help kill acne-causing bacteria and reduce the appearance of scars. Although it may cause burns or irritation, so it should be used carefully.
- Applying a mask made of Honey and cinnamon can help in treating acne as they have anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
- Applying Tea tree oil to the skin may reduce acne as it has strong anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties.
- According to some research, it is indicated that green tea extract may reduce acne So applying Green tea which is high in antioxidants that help fight bacteria and reduce inflammation.
- Aloe Vera gel is one of the safest acne treatment for teens as this magical medicinal plant can help heal wounds, treat burns, and fight inflammation.
- Avoid eating foods with high a glycaemic index, as dietary factors, such as insulin and glycemic index, may be associated with acne and eating food with high glycemic index causes a spike in insulin and this affects the development and severity of acne as this type of food quickly raises blood sugar.
There are various remedies for teenage Acne treatment as it is a common problem with a number of underlying causes.Some conventional treatments like salicylic acid, niacinamide, or benzoyl peroxide are still the most effective, though some may find these irritating as everybody’s skin is different.
So, treatments which may work well for one won’t necessarily give positive results for all. It is best to try natural remedies as they have no side effects, although if you have severe acne it is advisable to consult a dermatologist.