If your baby has tonsil stones, then you can easily treat it at home. There are many home remedies to treat tonsil stones in kids. These are natural and safe to use. The best part about using natural remedies is that most of the ingredients can be found in your kitchen. Some of the effective home remedies for treating tonsil stones in children include salt water gargle, basil leaf juice and cinnamon. You can also use turmeric, lemon juice, slippery elm and fenugreek seeds. Other home remedy ingredients are figs, mint, apple cider vinegar and ginger.
What are tonsil stones?
It is very common for children to be diagnosed with tonsil stones. It is also known as tonsillitis. Tonsils are the lumps of tissues found in the back of your baby’s throat. These prevent the entry of germs into your little one’s body.
Tonsils also help to produce antibodies that help fight infections in your child. They play a major role in the immune system. However, they are very prone to infections. When your baby’s tonsils are overcome with bacteria or viruses, they swell up. This leads to inflammation of the tissues. This condition is known as tonsillitis.
Tonsil stones can be very painful and cause great discomfort to your little one. They are very common in children.
Home Remedies to Treat Tonsil Stones in your Baby
The good news is that tonsil stones can be treated easily at home. There are many home remedies for this. These remedies use natural ingredients and have little or no side effects. Here we have listed eleven of the most effective home remedies to treat tonsil stones in kids. However, before you use any of them, make sure that your child isn’t allergic to the ingredients.
Salt water gargle
This is an age-old home remedy that has been used to treat tonsil stones in both children and adults. Gargling with lukewarm water with a bit of salt is a great way to soothe your baby’s throat.
Apart from helping to relieve the pain, gargling with salt water also helps kill the germs causing the infection. This home remedy also helps to reduce the inflammation. This makes it easier for your child to swallow.
- Warm some water in a pan.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt into the water.
- Let your child gargle with this warm salty water.
- You can repeat it as often as you want.
Make sure that you are present when your baby is gargling to see that they don’t swallow the salt water.
Basil Leaf Juice
Basil leaf has been used for many generations for its anti-inflammatory properties. It also used for its great anti-bacterial features. Basil helps to heal your baby’s tonsils faster. It is also a superb pain reliever. Basil is also effective in treating the swelling caused by the infected onsil stones.
- Take one cup of drinking water and add a few basil leaves.
- Boil this water for about ten minutes.
- Strain the boiled water into a cup.
- Add some honey to sweeten the infusion.
- Add some fresh lemon juice as well.
- Let your child drink this herbal tea two to three times in a day.
The honey and lemon in the tea also helps in treating the tonsil stones. Honey has anti-inflammatory properties. It also helps to soothe your baby’s throat. Lemon contains Vitamin C which helps boost your baby’s immune system.
This common spice is used everyday in your kitchen. You can use it to treat tonsil stones in your kid. This is because, cinnamon has very good antimicrobial properties. This makes it a great home remedy ingredient to treat tonsil stones in children.
Cinnamon stops bacteria and other harmful germs from growing on your baby’s tonsils. It also helps soothe the pain and reduces inflammation.
- Take some cinnamon sticks and ground them to a fine powder.
- Warm one glass of drinking water.
- Add the freshly grounded cinnamon powder to the warm water.
- Add two teaspoons of honey and mix well.
- Let your child drink this mixture.
This mixture of cinnamon, honey and warm water will soothe your baby’s throat almost instantly.
Turmeric has been used in the Eastern countries for many generations as a common household ingredient. This is because turmeric has great antiseptic powers. It also has tremendous anti-inflammatory properties. These make turmeric a great ingredient for treating tonsil stones at home.
Turmeric can be given to your baby as a warm gargle several times a day. You can also mix some turmeric in warm salt water to make an instant pain reliever for your child. All you need is a teaspoon of turmeric powder, some salt and a glass of warm water. You can also make a warm drink with turmeric for your child.
- Take one teaspoon of turmeric powder and one pinch of pepper.
- Add these two to a glass of warm milk.
- Let your child drink this mixture before they go to bed.
The turmeric in the mixture will help healing the infection. It will also reduce the inflammation. The milk is easy to swallow and will give your baby some energy.
Lemon juice has high quantities of Vitamin C. This is great for boosting your child’s immune system. A healthy immune system will be more effective in fighting the infections. It also has great anti-viral, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties. This makes it the prefect home remedy ingredient for treating tonsil stones in your baby.
You can give your baby a slice of lemon to suck on. Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper on the slice to make it taste better. This will help reduce the phlegm that happens with tonsil stones. You can also give you child some warm lemon juice.
- Take some lemon juice and some salt.
- Mix this with a glass of warm water.
- Add a teaspoon of honey to sweeten the drink.
- Let your child drink this juice several times each day.
You can continue to give your child the warm lemon juice as many times in a day as you want to. Continue till the symptoms of tonsil stones go away.
Slippery elm is an excellent home remedy ingredient for treating tonsil stones in kids. Slippery elm contains a gel known as mucilage. This gel is very helpful in reducing soreness and inflammation caused due to tonsil stones. It also acts as a pain reliever.
Slippery elm is also helpful in healing your baby’s mucus membrane in the throat. It also helps to heal the inflamed tissues in your baby’s throat.
- Take two cups of water and bring it to boil.
- Add a small amount of slippery elm bark to the boiling water.
- Let the barks steep in the water for a few minutes.
- Strain the mixture.
- Make your child drink this brew while it is still warm.
Alternately, you can also mix some slippery elm bark powder with a teaspoon of cayenne pepper with some warm water. Add a little bit of honey and make your child drink this tea. It will provide instant relief.
Fenugreek seeds are yet another common kitchen ingredient that you can use to treat tonsil stones at home. These are well known for their antibacterial powers. These have been used by many people to effectively treat tonsil stones at home.
Fenugreek seeds help in providing relief to your child from the pain. It also helps to reduce the swelling that happens due to tonsil stones.
- Take some water and bring it to boil.
- Add some amount of fenugreek seeds to the water.
- Strain the water after a few minutes.
- When the water is lukewarm, make your child gargle with it.
Make sure to be present when your child is gargling. They must not swallow the water after gargling.
Like slippery elm, figs also have a rich reserve of mucilage. This gel is very effective in curing tonsil stones in children.It can also help in soothing your baby’s sore throat. You can make a paste of some unsweetened figs.
This paste can be applied directly to your child’s throat. Let this mixture stay for about five to ten minutes. Wash off the paste to give relief to your baby’s throat. You can also make a fig paste that your baby can eat.
- Take three or four figs and boil them.
- Mash the boiled figs to make a fine paste.
- Add some honey to the paste to make it sweet.
- Make your child eat this paste at least three to four times in a day.
Figs are very effective in treating tonsil stones in kids. They can help reduce the pain and also ease the soreness.
Mint is a common ingredient that is used to treat many illnesses. It has strong antibacterial properties that makes it one of the most preferred home remedies. Mint can prevent and fight the bacterial growth causing the tonsil stones.
The menthol present in the mint leaves helps to soothe the throat’s mucus membrane. It is also good for eliminating the bad odor that happens due to tonsil stones.
- Take a few fresh mint leaves and boil them in water.
- Strain the tea into cups.
- Add some honey to sweeten.
- Let your child have this herbal tea several times in a day.
Make sure that your baby has the mint tea while it is warm. You can give this tea to your child several times in a day. Continue to let him or her have this tea till the signs go away.
Apple Cider Vinegar
This highly acidic vinegar is commonly used to cure all kinds of infections. It is very effective in killing bacteria. It can also be used to treat tonsil stones in your baby. It also has strong anti-inflammatory properties that makes it an invaluable remedy.
- Take one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.
- Add it to one cup of warm water.
- Let your child take this solution several times during the day.
You can repeat this as many times as you want, till the symptoms begin to go away. However, do remember that apple cider vinegar has a very strong taste. It may also not be suitable for very small children. Please consult your doctor before you try this home remedy.
Ginger is yet another common household ingredient that has many powerful qualities. Ginger can be used to cure coughs and colds. It is also effective in treating tonsil stones in kids. It has been used for many years as a home remedy to treat tonsil stones and other illnesses.
Ginger is a powerful antibiotic and has strong anti-inflammatory properties. The pungent aroma of ginger is a cure to some of the problems related to tonsil stones. Ginger can be used in various ways to treat tonsils.
- Take some water and boil it.
- Add tea leaves to it and let it steep for some time.
- Add freshly grated or sliced ginger to the tea and boil for a couple of minutes.
- Strain the tea and add some honey to sweeten.
- Let your child have this ginger tea several times in the day.
Ginger tea will help relieve the pain and soreness in your child’s throat. It also helps kill the bacteria causing the problems. However, make sure not to boil the ginger for too long. This will make it lose all the essential qualities.
Read More: Health Benefits of Ginger for Babies
The bark of the babul tree contains tannin and gallic acid. Also the leaves and fruits contain tannin and gallic acid. Babul tree has many medicinal qualities and is used in the treatment of various diseases.
- Take the bark of babul tree
- Mix the bark with rock salt
- Mix this mixture with hot water and use it as a gargle
Tonsil stones are quite common in children. Usually it can be treated with the help of the above home remedies. However, if you see that the symptoms of tonsil stones are not going away, or becoming worse, then it could be serious. In such a case, you need to take your child to the doctor. He or she may require antibiotic treatment, or even surgery to remove the tonsils. If the infection is very severe, then do not try to treat it at home. It can lead to further complications that can harm your baby.