Heat stroke is common during summer. The temperature of the body is maintained by the fluids in the body during hot weather. During a lot of dehydration and heat strokes, the body loses sufficient fluids. This might lead to life-threatening conditions such as neurological damage, especially when the body temperature rises to 105 degrees celsius. Thus it is important to have optimum information about heat strokes and how to prevent them.
Causes of heat stroke
- The exertion of the body in harsh weather conditions for example playing for hours in the sun.
- Children, older people, and people with illnesses normally have trouble regulating the temperature of the body. Even without any physical activity, there might be heat stroke on exposure to very high temperatures.
Symptoms of heat stroke
- Nausea and vomiting
- High body temperature
- Flushed skin
- Dizziness and weakness
- Rapid breathing
- Increased heart rate
- Abdominal cramps
- Muscle cramps
- Sweating too little or too much
11 best home remedies for heat stroke
Drink around 1-2 glasses every day. Blend the water with yogurt and add cumin powder and salt then mix well. Drink this chilled. This refreshing drink hydrates and cools the body because water is the main component. It also contains proteins, probiotics, vitamins, and minerals that replenish the body.
This is an effective first-aid remedy. Soak in a bathtub full of cold water for 15-20 minutes. This treatment is recommended in the case of heatstroke caused by exertion. This will help lower the body temperature.
Apply this when the body temperature starts to rise. Mix the essential oils and apply this blend on the soles, back of the neck, and the inside of the wrists. Lavender oil is good at soothing the nerves and also, the sunburnt skin. It decreases body temperature.
Mix water and dried moong beans. Boil the moong seeds and strain the liquid. Drink the liquid after it cools down. Moong beans are effective for managing heat strokes. Moong beans hydrate the body and reduce the body’s temperature.
Consume it as soon as the symptoms appear. Boil tamarind pieces in water with sugar or honey. Drink after it is cooled. Tamarind is good at supplying essential electrolytes and nutrients which are depleted due to dehydration.
Apply the juice after the occurrence of the stroke and drink a honey-onion mix twice a day for a few days after the incident. Apply the juice behind the ears, on the chest, and under the feet. Leave it on. This helps in alleviating the symptoms of a heat stroke. However, its mechanism is not known.
Drink a glass of this beverage after the occurrence of a heat stroke. Blend the leaves with some water and extract the coriander juice then add some sugar and mix well. Cool the water in the fragments in the fridge for a few minutes and then drink. Coriander helps in removing excess heat from the body and gets rid of vomiting and nausea while cooling the body.
Applying this once will reduce the symptoms of heat stroke. Make the powder of sandalwood with water into a thin paste and apply it on the chest and forehead then leave it for about an hour. Sandalwood has cooling properties which help in bringing down the body temperature.
Apple cider vinegar
Drink this juice if you’re feeling weak and dizzy after going out in the sun. Mix the water and vinegar and drink it. The juice contains vitamins and minerals which help to replenish the electrolytes in the body.
This drink can be consumed as a remedy for heat strokes. Soak some plums in the water until become soft. Mash in water and strain. Plums are a really great source of antioxidants and good at hydrating.
Drink good amounts of water during summer. Water will keep the body hydrated and cool. Carry a water bottle everywhere.
Prevention of heat stroke
- Stay hydrated with water and juices.
- Always use a scarf, an umbrella, or a hat to cover the head before stepping out in the sun.
- Drink buttermilk or lemonade to lower down excess body heat.
- Wear absorbent and loose-fitting clothes during humid and hot weather conditions.
- Choose to wear light-colored clothes during the day to absorb less heat.
- Try not to exert when outside. Follow simple schedules to keep hydrated and maintain energy during outdoor games or workouts.
- Sleep for at least 8 hours every day and eat a balanced diet. This will make sure that the body is well-rested and has enough minerals, proteins, and vitamins for healthy functioning.
The summer season is very unforgiving as it is hot both outside and inside. Heat stroke is common but proper remedies will help get through this rough time. Stay hydrated and healthy.
- natural healing: 10 home remedies to treat heatstroke – ndtv food
- loo Lagna (sunstroke/ heatstroke) | national health portal of India (nhp.gov.in)