If you’re a new mom or dad, you know just how important it is to have a really good baby shower. A big milestone for you and your expected baby, the baby shower you organize and host will need a lot of planning in terms of space and food. In order for it to be a success, you will need to serve not just many popular favorites and some with new twists. Here’s a road map for you in terms of baby shower food ideas so you can choose from these and enjoy your afternoon soiree.
50 Baby Shower Food Ideas to Surprise Your Guests
Food for baby shower is typically divided into these sections:
- Caprese With Pesto Bites: Your guests will surely make this their go-to appetizer, what with that delicious pesto.
- Pizza-Stuffed Mushrooms: Stuffed mushrooms take a new avatar as a pepperoni-topped appetizer. Your guests won’t stop at one, you’ll see.
- Chicken Enchilada Roll-Ups: These great-tasting appetizers score high on taste and on the fact that they can be done in a jiffy ahead of time.
- Grilled Pineapple Salsa: This combination of salty and sweet is irresistible.
- Fruit Island: Fruit, cut delicately, and served well can be a great draw at your baby shower. Strawberries, watermelon, grapes and cantaloupes are all-time favourites. You can serve them as a large fruit salad and let people pick up the slices they want. You can also serve a sweet cream cheese dip or a chocolate dip to go with strawberries.
- Make Your Own Appetizers: Stack up some plastic cups so that your guests can go down the line and add what they want to make up their own layers of appetizers. Give them a bean dip, sour cream, guacamole, taco seasoning, grated cheese, salsa, olives and fresh tomatoes and of course tortilla chips.
- Crab Dip: This is a great seafood appetizer for your guests.
Read some awesome Baby Shower Ideas for Girls and 50 Baby Shower Ideas for Boys.
Cocktails and Mocktails:
- Blue Mojito: A mojito in bright blue is something that will catch everyone’s eye, but when it comes to new mums, ensure that there is no rum.
- Ginger-Orange Cocktail: Serve this sparkling cocktail at your baby shower. Garnish it with fresh mint and orange slices.
- Bourbon Peach Punch: A lovely mix of bourbon, peach juice and ginger ale can be refreshing and set the tone for the event.
- Lemon Lime Punch: If you host your baby shower on a hot afternoon, this drink will be most welcome to everyone. Top it with lime sherbet and let your guests sip it all afternoon.
- Fruit Punch: Add a few strawberries, raspberries and pineapple and you’ve got the most delicious bowl of fruit punch. Serve it in a bowl and remember to garnish it with sliced fruit.
- Lavender Lemonade: It’s nice to have this on your drinks table as it’s easy to whip up at the last minute and tasty too.
- Rainbow Ice Cubes: Freeze a few fruit cubes and watch them melt in the water to form swirls of color.
- Tea Bar: Choose a few blends of tea and set them up on a dedicated table for tea lovers. Serve the tea they want in beautiful china mugs and see how the conversation starts.
- Finger Sandwiches: The best to serve are cucumber finger sandwiches, perhaps open-faced? Chicken salad sandwiches, tortilla wrap finger sandwiches and pinwheel sandwiches are great sandwich ideas.
- Pinwheel Sandwiches: These snacks get picked up within minutes. In fact, people will ask you for the recipe!!
- Veggie Platters: Lay out vegetable platters comprising several fresh veggies and a dip to go with it. Add some relish to it with olives.
- Mini Pitas: Easy to make, delicious and colourful, it is tiny and can be made with chicken, tuna or lobster stuffing. For your vegetarian guests, stuff the pitas with roasted veggies and cheese.
- Mac and Cheese Bites: Everyone’s favourite, you can be sure that your guests will go for these bite-sized snack.
- Petite Pies: Serve savoury or sweet mini pies and give your guests a wide selection of delicious and unforgettable food.
- Potato Bar: Prepare potato skins ahead of time or scoop them out and serve it next to a toppings bar so that your guests can make their own.
- Pinwheel Mints: Fresh, light and easy to dig your teeth into, these pinwheels are a big draw.
- BLT Cups: Have a tray full of these small BLT cups, made with crispy bacon, chipotle aioli, lettuce and a grape tomato.
- Mini Grilled Cheese Sandwiches: Mini grilled sandwiches with cheese is a dish that will put a smile of recognition on everyone’s faces. Serve it with a little tomato soup and see the sensation it strikes.
- Spaghetti and Meatball Mini Bites: This dinner favourite is turned into an hors d’oeuvres, so right for your event. Top each mini bites with spaghetti and some sauce.
- Smoked Salmon, Cream Cheese And Dill Crostini: If you’re looking for an elegant dish for your baby shower, you’ll find it easy to make and serve your guests.
- Herbed Quiche And Blue Cheese: The taste of sophisticated blue cheese improves the taste of this herbed quiche, so don’t be surprised to see the slices of this quiche disappearing fast.
- Baby Vegetable Platters: Arrange baby vegetables on a platter in the shape of a baby’s bottle or rattle. Use vegetables like cherry tomatoes, broccoli florets, baby carrots or corn. You can add some fruits like watermelon and pineapples in miniature sizes.
- Taco Bar: Have a dish of soft and hard tortillas and tacos. Make a dip of chicken, cheese, salsa, olives, hot sauce and sour cream and anything else. Serve the tortillas with the dip.
- Blue Cheese Bacon-Stuffed Mushrooms: Stuff mushrooms with blue cheese, bacon, caramelized onions and garlic. And the result? Out of this world.
- No-Crust Mini-Quiches: These mini-quiches can be made ahead and reheated when required. They’re crisp outside and warm and eggy bang in the middle.
- Pies: How about some pies for your guests? Apple or pumpkin pies with a dash of nuts like walnuts or pecans would be great.
Desserts: You can build your own dessert station by taking a bit of each dessert they see and pile it up as they go along. Here are some ideas to choose from:
- Coconut Ice: Here’s a refreshingly new dessert comprising two colours–white and pink. If it’s chewy, it’s also delicious.
- Chocolate-Raspberry Polka Dot Cake: This delightfully delicious soft cake has chocolate in layers filled with raspberry-whipped cream and cream ganache enveloped in glazed chocolate and then beautifully decorated with polka dots.
- Strawberry Mousse Cups: Celebrate this beautiful event with several layers of pink strawberry mousse inlaid in milk chocolate shells.
- Meyer Lemon Bundt Cake: The topping for a bundt cake is tangy lemon, which is so perfect for an afternoon event like a baby shower.
- Rice Krispies® Ice Cream Cones: Marshmallow rice cones are made to look like a rainbow of colours of melting ice cream cones.
- Matcha Jasmine Macaroon Ice Cream Sandwich: Ice cream sandwiches with the unique tastes of jasmine and mache flowers.
- Strawberry Milk Whoopie Pies: Soft pink cakes sandwiched between sweet cream layers and topped with sprinkles.
- Pistachio Cream Cheese Fingers: Light and delicately flavoured cookies, these cream cheese fingers are light green in color and are visually appealing due to the chocolate drizzle.
- Gluten-Free Desserts: Gluten-free strawberry shortcake shots not only look cute, they’re perfect for guests with gluten allergies!
- Biscuit Bar Goodies: Now, conventional dessert buffets are passe, so move on to something else. How does the idea of biscuit bars with toppings of sweet and fresh strawberries, whipped cream and lemon curd? Yummy, of course.
- Blue Velvet Cupcakes: Here are cupcakes dressed up in blue velvet–as if waiting for the good news.
- Stick Cookies: At the end of peanut butter cookies are candy bars that lay tucked inside the cookies.
- Mocha Sandwich Cookies: These are melt-in-the-mouth cookies your guests will go wow over. You can make them in the form of sandwiches with an almond-mocha filling.
- Ice Cream Sundae Station: If you’ve been experiencing a sweet tooth during your pregnancy, set up an ice cream station with everything in ice cream–hot fudge, chopped nuts, whipped cream, sprinkles, you name it.
- Cranberry Upside-Down Cake: Cranberry Upside Down Cake? Sounds yum, and you’ll realize this when you see the slices slipping away at the baby shower.
- White Chocolate Popcorn: If you can’t resist popcorn, here it is in another form–with chocolate. Serve it as a finger food by presenting it in small scalloped cups.
- Cravings Table: Usually, mums-to-be have food cravings during their pregnancies. To give in to your cravings, set up a food table of all your favourites. You can have an ice cream counter, or a pickle tray with different flavours, chocolates or fruits.
Organizing a baby shower isn’t easy, but it sure seems like a lot of work and food too!! But as you organize it, you’ll find it a lot of fun too. So, go ahead and enjoy yourself with these food ideas for a baby shower.