Male infertility is more prevalent than most couples imagine. Some reasons leading to male infertility include inadequate sperm production and quality. Male infertility decreases the odds of one of the sperms successfully fertilizing the egg. It can be a very stressful situation for the couple.
There are several medical procedures that can help reverse male infertility. But if you are not willing to spend big bucks or are waiting for the results you can try the below home remedies while you wait.
Here we are giving 21 best home remedies for treating male infertility.
What causes male infertility?
There are many causes which can lead to low sperm count and male infertility. Fortunately these are easily reversible by reducing exposure to these elements.
- Electromagnetic Frequencies: EMFs have been proven to be one of the leading causes of low sperm count. Studies have shown that sperm count is significantly lowered due to the heating of the testicles from the EMFs. Keeping cell phones in your pockets or placing laptops on your laps are generally causes of heating from EMFs.
- Cigarettes: Smoking is definitely bad news for sperm count and male fertility. Cigarette smoking causes great harm to your sperms. You can try to reverse the effects by quitting.
- Pesticides and Hormones in Foods: Men’s hormonal balance can be greatly affected by the pesticides found in foods. Hormones added to certain meats and dairy can also be harmful for male fertility. Pesticides mimic estrogens in the body. On the other hand the added hormones in dairy and meats contain those that are probably best left out of your system
- Radio frequency electromagnetic waves: A study conducted in 2011 showed startling connection between low sperm count and RF-EMWs emitted from devices connected to WiFi.
- Alcohol: In a study conducted in men with poor sperm it was found that excessive alcohol consumption was definitely connected. Excessive alcohol consumption can lead to decrease in the number of sperm.
- Stress: Stress can have a big impact on hormone balance. This in turn can affect your sperm production.
- Overheating: Heat is a known factor that can destroy sperms. Exposure to activities that result in the excessive heating of the testicles can cause male infertility. Prolonged exposure to sauna, hot tub, and even tight underwear can lead to hyperthrmia in your testicles.
How can I treat male infertility at home?
21 Must Know Home Remedies for Male Infertility
It may be that you are waiting for the results of your fertility tests or for your appointment for medical fertility enhancement. This can be a stressful time for both you and your partner. Even though there are no sure shot ways, you can try the following the below home remedies to improve your chances of fertility.
- Maca Root
Maca Roots are known to improve sperm production and motility in males. It is one of the most popular herbs to treat male infertility to improve male fertility.
Directions to Use:
- Take 1 to 3 teaspoons of maca root in 2 divided doses for a few months
- Take daily for best results
- You can add it it a glass of water or to your smoothies and protein shakes
- Alternately sprinkle some maca root on your morning cereal
Remember, maca roots are high in fiber. Start out by taking ½ teaspoon and gradually increase the intake over the weeks.
- Panax Ginseng
It is also known as Korean Ginseng. It is commonly used by the Chinese to traditionally help bodies adapt to stress. This can also be used to successfully increase testosterone. Panax Ginseng also helps increase sperm count and motility to enhance male fertility.
Directions to Use:
- Take 1 to 3 capsules of 500 mg Panax ginseng daily for at least 3 months.
It can also help improve erectile performance. In any case, please do consult your doctor before taking ginseng supplements.
- Ashwagandha or Indian Ginseng
It is one of the most highly rated herbs recommended by Ayurveda to treat male infertility for male fertility. In studies conducted by Indian researchers also it has been seen to significantly increase sperm count, motility, and semen volume.
Extracts from the root of the ashwagandha are used to treat male infertility. It is also effective in boosting healthy testosterone production.
Directions to Use:
- Mix ½ teaspoon of ashwagandha powder with a glass of warm milk
- Drink this mixture twice daily for a few months
Alternately you can use ashwagandha root extract. Make sure to consult your doctor to take the proper dosage.
Garlic is known to act as a natural aphrodisiac. It also acts as an agent to increase sperm production. Garlic contains a compound called allicin. This compounds helps to boost the endurance of the sperm. It also helps improve blood circulation.
Presence of the mineral selenium in garlic helps to improve sperm motility. To get the benefits of garlic, simply include one or two cloves in your daily diet.
If you can try to chew raw garlic cloves everyday.
- Maintain a proper diet
Studies have shown that proper diet has a big impact on male fertility. What you eat directly affects the sperms you produce. Your diet today will affect the quality of sperm you produce two to three months later.
Keep in mind that herbs, supplements, and dietary changes will take two or three months to improve your sperm health. There are certain nutrients that can help boost your sperm health. Be sure to include the following in adequate quantity in your diet:
- Vitamin E
- Folic Acid
- Vitamin B12
- Vitamin C
- Antioxidants especially CoQ10
These nutrients are specifically needed for healthy male fertility. Be sure to include foods rich in these in your diet. You can also take supplements after consultation with your doctor.
- Balance your hormones
Contrary to popular belief women aren’t the only ones who can suffer from hormonal imbalance. Men too can suffer from imbalanced hormones. Hormones are essential in the production of semen and therefore male fertility.
Due to the ill habits of the modern lifestyle men attract many “pollutants” into their bodies that lead to imbalanced hormones. These pollutants mimic estrogen and lead to reduced levels of testosterone. Excess estrogen in men is bad news for your fertility. Chances of erectile dysfunction, low/lack of libido, low sperm count, and lowered production of seminal fluids are greatly increased.
Steps to keep your hormones balanced:
- Reduce exposure to xenohormones
- Consume only organic meats and dairy
- Avoid eating soy and soy based foods
- Cleanse your body of excess hormones and toxins
- Include lots of fiber and cruciferous vegetables in your daily diet. These help your body to rid itself of any excess estrogen.
Tribulus terrestris, also known as gokshura, is an Ayurvedic remedy to increase sperm count and improve sperm quality. It can enhance hormone levels. It is an aphrodisiac herb that is also known to be helpful in treating oligozoospermia (low sperm count).
Directions for Use:
- Take 1 to 3 capsules of 500 mg Tribulus terrestris daily
- Continue this for few months
Consult your doctor before you start taking the tribulus supplements to know if it is at all suitable for you.
- Moderate Exercise
Studies have found that moderate exercise can help boost healthy sperm production. Studies have shown that leading a sedentary lifestyle by young men has direct impact on the overall quality of semen. Young men leading sedentary lifestyles have shown serious decline in the quality of sperm produced.
On the other hand men who are engaged in a minimum of 15 hours of moderate exercise in a week were seen to have much better sperm count and quality.
To improve your chances at better quality sperm and increase your sperm count you can:
- Try light physical exercise for at least an hour each day
- Exercise daily
- Try outdoor exercises except cycling
- Moderate weight training
Remember: Avoid overexertion. This can have the opposite effect altogether. Excessive exercising can lead to an actual decrease in your sperm count. Avoid cycling as an exercise or cycling for prolonged period. Cycling can create pressure against the scrotum and lead to increase in scrotum temperature.
It is yet another herb that is known for its beneficial effect on sperm count. It also has other benefits such as:
- Calming your nerves
- Relieving mental and physical exhaustion
- muscle relaxant
Directions for Use:
- Steep ¼ teaspoon of dried damiana leaves in a cup of boiling water for 5 to 10 minutes
- Strain the solution and sweeten with a little honey
- Drink this herbal tea up to 3 times a day for a few months
You can also try taking damiana supplements after consulting with your doctor.
- Saw Palmetto
It is commonly used for enhancing prostrate health. This herb is also useful to increase your sperm count. It is also quite beneficial in treating erectile dysfunction.
Saw palmetto is an herb highly regarded for its applications for impotence. It also helps with physical and mental debility concerning sexual performance, and as a tonic that nourishes the entire male reproductive system. It also treats testicular atrophy.
Directions for Use:
- Take 160 mg of saw palmetto extract twice daily
- Continue for a few months
Consult with your doctor about how many months and suitable dosage specific to your case. The supplement should be standardized to contain 85 to 95% fatty acids and sterols.
- Green Tea
Research has shown that green tea is rich in antioxidants that are beneficial to boosting male fertility. Epigallocatechin gallate or EGCG found in green tea, in low dosage, has been found to improve sperm quality.
At very high concentrations, ECGC has the opposite effect. A variety of antioxidants, including vitamin E, zinc and magnesium, improve a couple’s chances of conceiving if the fertility problem is known to lie with the man.
Most commonly sold as a loose, dried leaf tea, green tea can also be purchased as an extract, or in a decaffeinated form of tea, or in liquid or capsule form. The health benefits of green tea can be absorbed by drinking at least two cups of green tea per day.
- Horny Goat Weed
It is a time-tested aphrodisiac that helps increase sperm production and treat erectile dysfunction. It has been used commonly in Chinese medicine for centuries.
You can consult your doctor and take 250 to 500 mg of horny goat weed supplement daily. Continue for a few months or as the doctor prescribes.
Remember, however, that horny goat weed supplements have yet to be tested for safety. So make sure to consult with your doctor before taking them. Take the supplements only if your doctor says it is ok.
- Schisandra Berry
A small purple-red berry from china and Russia, schisandra is one of the worlds most well-researched adaptogens. It is one of the most treasured plants in China.
This highly regarded herb is one of the best tonice for enhancing sperm production. It also increases RNA, enzymes, and glycogen which are essential for kidney and gonad gland health.
You can take Schisandra supplements. Take 2 capsules or tablets daily or as per the physician’s directions.
- Get Proper Sleep
Recent studies have linked improper sleep with male infertility. Sleep problems and lack of sleep have been shown to lower the fertility in young men drastically.
In a study conducted by the University of Southern Denmark it was found that men who frequently retired late, woke many times in the night or struggled to sleep, had a sperm count 25 per cent lower than those who had no trouble. The study also found that men with sleeping disorders are also seen to have smaller testicles.
Some tips to improve sleep:
- Stick to a sleep schedule. Go to bed and get up at the same time every day, even on weekends, holidays and days off
- Switch off all electronic devices at least half an hour prior to your sleep time
- Pay attention to what you eat and drink before going to bed
- Create your ideal atmosphere for sleep
- Manage Stress. Too much stress or worry is likely to hamper your sleep quality
If you have chronic insomnia you can consider talking to your doctor. Identify the causes for your troubles and try to work towards finding a cure.
- Keep you weight in check
Overweight and obese men have worse sperm quality than men of healthy weight. Being underweight can also reduce a man’s sperm quality and therefore his fertility. It is, therefore, of the highest importance that you maintain a regular body weight.
Start a healthy eating and exercise plan now to increase the odds of your partner (or surrogate) getting pregnant and having a healthy baby. Talk to your doctor and encourage yourself to exercise and eat smart.
Find out the idea Body Mass Index for you and how close you are to it. In case you are found to be overweight or underweight try to reach your idea BMI to improve your fertility.
- Yohimbe Bark
This bark is one of the most popular home remedies for treating male infertility, and sexual dysfunction. Studies have shown that the yohimbe bark helps increase the blood flow to the genitals of men. It is therefore great for men with low libido.
Yohimbe has been found to increase circulation to the erectile tissues; aiding in physiological and psychogenic (mental/emotional) impotence.
General Suggested Dosage of Yohimbe:
Dry powder: 135mg-540mg per day, split into 2-3 doses per day
Liquid extract: 30-40 drops, 3 times a day
Caution: Before choosing Yohimbe be sure to let your doctor know you are interested in using this herb. Yohimbe should not be use in those people with low blood pressure or who are on blood pressure medications. Never exceed the dosage of this herb.
- Goji Berry
Studies have shown that the fruit of Goji may help male infertility by increasing sperm count and motility. Goji has been used as a traditional male fertility herb for thousands of years in Traditional Chinese Medicine.
These delicious berries can be eaten Goji fresh or as a dried berry. They can be added to soups, oatmeal, porridge, smoothies, muffins, bread and rice. They are also excellent juiced. You can eat these as food upto 1 ounce per day.
Alternately you can choose to use 60-90 drops of goji berry tincture up to 4 times a day.
Directions of Use as a decoction:
- Add 2 tsp dried fruit (berries) to 12 ounces water
- Bring to a boil, lower heat to slow simmer for up to 15-20 minutes
- Take off heat, let steep for additional 40-50 minutes
- Drink up to 3 cups a day
- Ginko Leaves
Ginkgo is the #1 remedy for erectile dysfunction. It increases circulation to the reproductive organs and is high in antioxidants, shown to be important for sperm health.
It helps improve circulation to the penis as well, which makes it an effective cure for erectile dysfunction.
A standard recommended dosage of ginkgo biloba is 40-80mg, 3 times a day (up to 240mg/day). Ginkgo can be purchased in a number of different forms, including tablets, capsules, dried leaves (for tea) and extracts.
When considering purchasing any ginkgo product it is important to find the highest percentage of flavonoids and terpenoids.
There are few known side effects, if any they are upset stomach, headaches and dizziness. It can take anywhere from 4-6 weeks to notice the effects of gingko.
Astragalus is a plant within the Leguminosae (beans or legumes). It has been used in traditional Chinese medicine for thousands of years.
This herb works to increase sperm motility. It is best consumed as a decoction. The directions for making the decoction are mentioned below.
Directions for Use:
- Take 1 cup of water and mix one ounce of astragalus dried root
- Let it heat for about 30 minutes
- Drink once it’s cool
- Have it daily for couple of days
You can also buy 1500 mg capsules and take them thrice a day.
Astragalus is currently used as an addition to conventional treatments and should not be used as a replacement for medications unless suggested by a doctor.
- Flaxseed Oil
Flax seed oil is rich in omega-3 fatty acids and essential fatty acids. These promote good health of the sperm and also enhance male fertility. The oil also helps get rid of impotence by stimulating blood flow.
Health Communities indicates that taking 1 tbsp. daily of flaxseed oil can help you increase your sperm count or improve the motility of your sperm. Taking this herbal supplement can also help you keep your prostate healthy as you age.
Remember, large dosages can result in intestinal blockages. Do not take flaxseed oil if you have high blood pressure or diabetes.
- Have sex at the right time
There is a right time to have sex to optimize your chances of conception and to give sperm an extra boost.
Here are a few tips to help you pick the best time for having sex when you are planning for a baby.
- Know when your partner / surrogate is ovulating
- Time it right. Do not have sex 2 – 3 days before ovulation to build up your sperm supply
- Use sperm friendly lubricants
- Don’t have sex standing up. This makes it harder for the sperm to reach the cervix.
If you are experiencing low sperm count there are many natural therapies that have been shown to increase sperm count and health. It can be a stressful time for both you and your partner. It is important to remember to talk freely to each other to help you both get through. You should also consult your doctor for the best possible medical alternatives for best results.
The home remedies to treat male infertility given above will definitely help improve your chances of fatherhood. But depending only on these is not a wise choice.