The bright reddish vegetable, without which the kitchen feels empty, the vegetable cum fruit which is present in every dish, in salads, in garnishing’s, yes the Tomato! This vegetable floods the market the whole year, this round tangy vegetable that grows in the wines has a variety of benefits, let’s know why one should include tomato in their everyday diet.
What is Tomato?
Tomatoes are fruits, a berry that consists of ovaries and seeds of a flowering plant. Tomatoes are considered a vegetable by nutritionists. It is the edible berry of the plant Solanum Lycopersicum which is commonly known as the Tomato plant. The word tomato has been derived from the Spanish word tomate that has its origin from tomato a nahuati word. Tomato comes in different kinds of variety of sizes, shapes and types!
7 Must Know Health Benefits of Adding Tomato in Your Diet
Source of vitamins
A single tomato can provide the body with about 40% of the Vitamin C that is required daily. Tomato also supplies Vitamin A which helps in supporting vision, good health, skin health and immunity. Tomato also has vitamin K, which is good for potassium and bones, and also plays a part as a key nutrient for muscle contractions, heart functions and maintaining fluid balance and healthy heart pressure.
Protects heart health
Tomatoes contain the antioxidant lycopene, which’s responsible for the red colour in tomatoes. Heart diseases are worrisome and Patients who suffer from heart diseases are advised to take tomato and tomato products rather than taking lycopene supplements. Nutritionists suggest eating tomatoes rather than taking any form of lycopene supplement. Lycopene lowers the chance of diabetes, stroke and heart diseases.
Helps in improving eye vision
Lycopene the antioxidant is also good for the eyes. Tomato also includes beta-carotene and lutein as well, these nutrients protect against eye conditions and support vision. Lutein and beta-carotene also protect the eyes from macular degeneration and cataracts. It is a must include in your diet for healthy eyesight and vision.
Boosting the digestive system
The fibre and fluids in tomatoes can be helpful to people suffering from constipation. Tomato helps in keeping the digestive system healthy and in protecting the body from diarrhoea. It prevents jaundice and removes all the toxins from the body.
Tomato can effectively help the body to prevent cancer. It is an Anti-Carcinogenic, the lycopene that is present in tomatoes controls the growth of cancer cells especially stomach, colorectal and prostate cancer.
Helps in losing weight
If you are a fitness freak or one who is on a diet, it is the correct time to include these juicy red fruits in your diet. Tomato encourages the production of the amino acid called Carnitine, which helps in enhancing the body’s fat-burning capability to 30 per cent.
Repairs lung damage in ex-smokers
A study from the John Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public health found that the natural decline in the healthy functioning of ex-smokers in about 10 years was slower than those who were on a high tomato diet. The certain components present in tomatoes help the ex-smokers in reducing the damage as well as restoring the healthy lungs to healthy functioning. Tomato is also beneficial for passive smokers as well.
Ways/Recipes in Which You Can Have Tomato
There are a variety of ways in which you can include tomatoes in your diet. Here are some ways in which you can include tomato in your daily nutrition and add it to some recipes too:
- Tomato can be chopped and sliced for garnishing in a salad. Salads always include tomatoes and give it a tangy twist. However, do not remove the outer covering of the tomato as it includes maximum benefits.
- Cherry tomatoes are also a good way to include this deliciously juicy fruit in your diet. One can also have cherry tomatoes otherwise. Cherry tomatoes can be added to salads, Pasta, or they can be eaten as sautéed vegetables along with other leafy and green vegetables.
- Tomato soup is an appetizer that has lovers all over the world. With a pinch of black pepper, It is best to make fresh tomato soup at home and serve it in the evening or at dinner.
- Tomato is among the most used ingredient in the refreshing sandwich. Chop some tomatoes and add them to your sandwich along with your favourite veggies.
- Fresh tomato juice is a great start for a refreshing day, add some pinch of pink salt in it to make it juicy, nutritious, tangy, healthy and perfect for the morning routine.
- Tomato can be added in pasta as one of the main veggies, it can also be ground for making the creamy tomato sauce for pasta.
- Slices of tomato can be combined with basil, feta and greek dressing for a tangy, and mouth-watering appetizer. Tomato can also be added to the omelette, just top the omelette with some spinach and tomato and enjoy.