Breasts are important secondary reproductive organs of females. The breast tissue is composed of fat cells, glandular cells, and ligaments extending from the collarbone to the underarm and across the center of the chest. Their shape, size, and color may differ from one female to another which is due to the inheritance of different genes. Moreover, the breast keeps on changing and developing throughout her life.
In this article:
All You Need to Know about Sagging Breasts
As time passes by, the breast tends to lose the original shape and size. They appear sagging and droopy. Sagging breasts are extremely common in elderly females but it may trigger anxiety in many women. The term “ptosis” is often used for sagging and is a very common condition to be treated with plastic surgery. Though not every woman with sagging breast desire to get them surgically corrected. Some may opt for natural remedies and lifestyle changes to prevent or minimize the sagging effect of the breast.
Causes of Sagging Breasts
The most basic cause of sagging breast is the passage of time and this can be regardless of what woman wears, or who you are, the time and the gravity will lead the skin to weaken by losing its elasticity. Sagging of breasts can also be seen in young females. This may occur due to :
- Increased smoking habits in females. Smoking causes the skin to lose elasticity and strength to hold the weight.
- Heavier, larger breasts are more likely to sag with time.
- Sudden and extreme weight loss can also change the shape and size of breasts.
- Multiple pregnancies cause the breast holding ligaments to stretch and thus droop when the breast becomes heavier to breastfeed the baby.
- Obesity may also lead to breast tissue stretch and droop down.
- Hormonal changes observed during menopause can affect the skin elasticity.
- Exertional high-intensity workouts can also cause a break down of connective tissue leading to sagging breasts.
- Diseases like breast cancer and tuberculosis can weaken the tissue and cannot support the breast well.
Cooper’s ligaments stretch is often the most common cause for sagging breasts.Other than these some of the other causes are :
- Collagen deficiency
- Estrogen deficiency
- Larger breast size
Breastfeeding a baby or not wearing a bra or wearing a bad bra is a misconception. Certain studies show these causes to be completely false.
Home Remedies for Sagging Breasts
Restoring the original shape and size of the breast is not possible but the following measures can help in improving the lift as well as strength of the bust :
- Diet and nutrition
Breast is made up of no muscles thus one cannot firm breast tissue with exercise. But just below the fat tissue of breast lies fibrous connective tissue and muscles that can be exercised and help in improving the appearance of one’s chest. Following exercise not only improve the muscle strength but helps in maintaining a proper posture :
- Arm curls
- Bench press
Diet and Nutrition
Intake of a balanced diet helps in nourishing the skin to live healthy and strong for many years. Maintenance of optimal weight is also a key to avoid sagging breasts as being overweight or obese, a high amount of pressure is exerted on the skin tissue. This may result in sagging breasts. Along with a healthy diet, a healthy lifestyle is also important. Habits such as smoking tobacco should be prohibited. It plays a crucial role in the conversion of the normal breast into sagging breasts. Drinking plenty of water is important to keep the body hydrated as water also helps in maintaining the skin strength and firmness of breast tissue.
An improper posture like hunched or bent back can cause hanging of breast due to their weight. This puts more pressure and tension on the breast tissue, aggravating sagging. While good posture provides minimum strain to the supporting ligaments and muscles. Good posture simply implies, keeping the back straight and shoulders back distributes the weight of the body evenly and thus prevents sagging.
Though not much but good quality, properly fitted bra helps in reducing the strain and stress on the breast tissue and ligaments by adequately supporting the breast.
Sagging after Pregnancy and Breastfeeding
Though breastfeeding is mostly blamed to cause drooping breast, it’s not breastfeeding alone which leads to the saggy breast. Sagging of breasts is a result of pregnancy and other factors influencing it. Various changes occur in the breast during pregnancy. The breast grows in size to prepare for breastfeeding. Once, the baby is born the milk fills in the breast causing more stretch of the breast skin. Soon during the weaning process, the breast milk dries up, breast reduces in size, less full, and may even become saggy.
After pregnancy and breastfeeding, the breast can return to its original size or may remain larger or even smaller. In case of shrinking of breast tissue but stretched skin, the breast appears to be saggy. Following measures can minimize the effects of pregnancy and breastfeed on the mother’s breast :
- Wearing a supportive nursing bra during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
- Maintaining a healthy normal body mass index
- Using safe moisturizer to avoid drying of breast skin.
- Avoid smoking.
Treatment for Sagging Breasts
Other than home remedies, a woman with sagging breast can go for following treatments:
- During menopause, there is a fall in levels of estrogen hormone which is responsible for the decrease in tissue collagen. Therefore, one should get a hormone test and then find healthy ways to boost up estrogen levels and improve breast shape and form.
- Plastic surgery is also an option but it is an expensive option and is not convenient for every woman. These types of surgeries can lift the breasts and restore the breast to a youthful as well as supple appearance.
With the normal aging process, it is common for a woman to develop saggy breasts. But if she takes care of all preventive measures she can avoid the sagging and maintain the firm breast throughout her lifespan.