With the blazing and soaring sun up in the skies, it is important to keep kids hydrated. Whether they are playing outside or indulging in indoor games, it is important to keep up with their fluid intake. At the very same time, plying them with artificially flavored drinks is something that needs to be avoided. So here is our list of quick and healthy summer drinks for kids.
- Lemonade: An all-time favorite lemonade is not only refreshing, but also is nutritious. Add to it the fact that it is really simple and quick to make, the choice is really simple. It is also highly versatile as you can easily customize it to meet your taste requirements. Just add chilled water, crushed ice and sugar to a glass with lemon juice and you are all set. For an extra twist, you can add crushed mint as well. Add a pinch of salt if you want it to be a little spicy as kids will relish it tanginess.
- Frozen Berry Slush: With this recipe, you do not need to add artificial sweeteners as the fruit content of this drink makes it sweet enough. Take a bowl of crushed berries and give them a whish through your food processor. Add a dollop of honey to up its nutritional value. Top it up with a little soda to give it an edgy fizz! Trust us when we say your kids will love it!
- Apple Soda Recipe: Kids love sodas, but their added sugar content and artificial flavors are not good for their health. Now, you can make your kids’ soda intake healthier with this simple recipe. Take half a glass of apple juice and top it up with plain, non-sugared soda. Add crushed ice for refreshing chilly factor. The drink is not only tasty for kids, but is healthy too.
- Banana Melon Shake: this drink is full of taste, nutrients and is filling at the same time. The ingredients are simple and easily available. Cube your melons and bananas. Put them in a food processor and add half a cup of milk and yogurt each to make two glasses of refreshing banana melon shake. You can add chunks of fruits to give it more crunchy texture and fiber for nutritional well being of children.
- Mixed Fruit Smoothie: if you have a bunch of kids to feed and a couple of fruits lying around then you are ready for this recipe. Cut small pieces of assorted fruits such as banana, mango, apricots, and papaya. Spin them together in the food processor with yogurt. And, Voila the drink is ready! Yes, it is as simple as that! It is naturally sweetened with all the fruits it contains. However, you can give it a spritz of honey for additional nutrition and flavor to tempt kids.
- Watermelon Cooler: this drink has sparkly red color, thanks to watermelon, which can easily entice children to keep up with their hydration level. For this easy drink, you need ideally frozen cubes of watermelon. Otherwise, fresh watermelon will suffice too. Liquefy watermelon and add it to ginger ale for an interesting twist. Serve with crushed ice for that refreshing kick.
- Double Citrus Slushies: When the days are hot, frozen drinks become a necessity. Slushies are a great way to soothe parched throats and get that refreshing feeling. For this recipe, we are going to use orange and lemon, but you can have your own pick of favorite citrus fruits. Juice your orange and lemon. Add water in 10 to 1 ratio, and throw in some crushed ice. Give this mix a trip through your blender and serve as a refreshing drink for children.
- Quick Cream Slushies: This high calorie drink is just the right kind of thing if you want to give an energy boost to your kids. It contains the nourishment of fruits and power of half and half. Cut mango, banana and apple in small size chunks. Make a mix of half a cup of whipping cream and Half and Half each. Put all the ingredients in a blender. Put some crushed ice in a tall glass. Next pour in the blended mixture and serve. Kids will love its creamy, tasty delight.
- Ginger Punch: This refreshing drink gives you a tangy taste with its ginger, lemon and molasses ingredients. Take a two tablespoons of ginger and lemon juice each. Pour them in a glass and top it with chilled water. Add a little molasses for extra flavor to make it suitable for kids. This delightful drink is good for health too.
- Pineapple Cooler: It does not get any easier than this drink. Take half a glass of pineapple juice and mix it with plain soda. Infuse this mixture with fresh herbs such as lavender, crushed mint and a pinch of salt. Top it with ice cubes to keep kids cool and hydrated.
- Aam Panna: Kids love mangoes, then why not turn it into a tasty, chilled treat. This recipe makes good use of raw mangoes, which need to be pressure cooked. Once done, peel them and remove the pulp. Mix pulp with a little sugar and salt. Add a little cumin seed and blend the mixture in a food processor. Serve over crushed ice. Children will love its sweet-salty taste. You can use honey instead of regular sugar to make it extra healthy.
- Ginger Beer: Get an extra treat for children with this non-alcoholic drink. Take juice of 4 lemons and 1 orange and mix it with a cup of honey. Put this mixture in a food processor with half a cup of fresh ginger. Strain the mix and top with plain soda. Serve chilled. For grown up kids, you can also add zest of lemon and orange to the drink to give it an extra kick.
- Blueberry-Coconut Slush: If your kids love blueberries, this is a drink they will love! Blend some coconut scrapings with a handful of frozen blueberries to make a delicious, gulp-worthy slush that is hard to resist! What’s more? It is refreshing and nutritious!
- Homemade Orange Soda Recipe: You cannot go wrong with Orange soda can you? An all-time favorite among kids and adults, this drink will be over before you know it! Use thawed orange fruit concentrate and some lemon n lime soda. Serve with some ice and your kids will love this citrus tang!
- Lassi: There is no drink that can beat a long glass of chilled Lassi on a hot summer day. And Lassi is so simple to make! Just whisk together some yoghurt with salt or sugar. If you want to make it more interesting, throw in a fruit of your choice. Nutritious and simply yummilicious!
With these recipes under your belt, now you are all set to keep your children happy and healthy during the summer season. These drinks will ensure that the kids are not only getting proper nutrition, but also that they like the drinks as well.