Dandruff can leave you embarrassed out in public and also pull you back from choosing anything in black. Dandruff is something that people are quite ashamed off because many people reflect it on an unhealthy hygiene. Dandruff is nothing but scalp flaking which is caused due to inflammation in the skin. This inflammation is caused when the skin reacts to the yeast that is present on the scalp. Everybody’s scalp contain yeast, but only few people react to it. This reaction leads to flaky and itchy skin.
Though this is a hard thing to get rid off, choosing the right shampoos for dandruff and right washing techniques can make a lot of difference week by week.
Effective Ways to Get Rid of Dandruff
Apply the dandruff shampoo into the scalp using fingertips and let it sit for around 5 minutes before washing off. For best results, use an anti-dandruff conditioner after the shampoo.
Look for ingredients in the shampoo
- Salicylic acid
- Coal tar
- Selenium sulfide
- Pyrithione zinc
Experiment with these ingredients to find the best shampoo suitable for the scalp. It is also important to look for moisturizing agents because dandruff makes scalp dry and flaky. Most of the time, shampooing frequently makes the scalp dry for majority of the people. Letting the scalp stay dry will make the dandruff to come back. So, look out for the moisturizing ingredients like:
- Shea butter
It is usually recommended to wash hair twice a week. Make a note of your scalp every week by changing the frequency. Once you find the ideal one, stick to it regularly using the ideal shampoo and conditioner.
Read More: Home Treatments for Hair Loss in Children
7 Best Anti-Dandruff Shampoos
Dove Dermacare Scalp Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
- Refreshing scent
- Soothes scalp
- Hydrates hair
- Contains pyrithione zinc
- Contains shea butter
- Reduces flakiness and also itchiness
- Suitable in all seasons
- Prevents forehead acne
- Only available in big bottle
If you are a dandruff sufferer and don’t want to spend too much money on getting rid of it, dove dermacare is the best option since it’s really pocket friendly. It also lathers well compared to the other shampoos listed here. It lathers well with curly textured hair too and does not leave the hair dried after shampooing. It gives promising results with almost complete reduction of flakes.
Neutrogena T/Sal Shampoo Scalp Build-Up Control
- Lasts longer
- Recommended by doctors
- Contains coal tar
- For severe dandruff treatment
- Contains Salicylic acid
- Does not have a pleasant scent
- Can leave the scalp dried out for some people
- Not suitable for dry hair and colored hair
This is one of the shampoos which doctors recommend as it is quite affordable with good results. It not only cures dandruff but also helps in getting rid of the acne which is caused by dandruff. It provides treatment for itching and flaking, subsequently helping in curing scalp conditions like dandruff, psoriasis and dermatitis. This shampoo is also fragrance free. One drawback which people who have used this shampoo noticed is that it leaves the hair dried and sometimes does not remove oil.
Nizoral A-D Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
- Most effective treatment for dandruff with promising results
- Recommended by doctors
- Lasts longer as it doesn’t have to be used everyday
- No unpleasant odour
- Very expensive
- Works only for dandruff caused by fungal reactions
The active ingredient present in this shampoo is very powerful medication available over the counter which works effectively in dandruff elimination. But users have reviewed saying that it works only if the dandruff is caused by bacteria or fungi. It does not work if the dandruff is caused by other reasons.
Head & Shoulders 2-in-1 Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
- Gentle on hair
- Balanced pH levels
- Reduces itchiness, flakiness and dryness
- Softens hair giving a silky look
- Can be used on chemically treated or colored hair
- Suitable for all hair types
- Green apple scent
- Contains many chemicals
The fragrance is pleasant and not too strong. It leaves hair smooth and soft after wash. It is very affordable and gives promising results. It is a very good shampoo which gives better results with almost no disadvantages and no side effects. It does not discolor the hair which has undergone color treatment.
Redken Dandruff Control Shampoo
- Effective to treat dandruff and dermatitis
- Hair benefits
- Dermatologically safe
- Contains Pyrithione zinc
- Contains glycerin
- Contains lavender oil
- Contains chemicals
- Contains artificial ingredients
- Unpleasant scent
- Dries out the scalp and hair
Users have claimed that this shampoo is very effective and it also cures eczema of the scalp. However, it is not available easily and everywhere. Make sure to test it on your scalp before starting to use it frequently as it does not work well on all scalps.
Nioxin Scalp Recovery Medicated Cleanser
- Moisture control
- Soothes scalp which are dry and flaky
- Eliminates flakes completely with frequent usage
- Treats dandruff and dermatitis
- Can be used on colored hair
- Contains Pyrithione zinc
- Contains green tea polyphenols
- Contains peppermint oil and menthol which give a cooling effect
- Not recommended for some people with oily scalp as this shampoo is quite oily with a creamy texture
This shampoo cures flaky and itchy spots on the scalp and it can also be used on colored hair. It is too expensive for what it offers, but it is very effective in treating itchy spots. This shampoo is also difficult to find. It moisturizes the scalp and hair giving it a shiny look rather than a dry look, especially for people with frizzy hair.
Neutrogena T/Gel Therapeutic Shampoo
- Available in smaller and bigger sizes making it available to experiment first
- Affordable pricing
- Treats dandruff, dermatitis, seborrheic dermatitis and psoriasis
- Contains tar which reduces inflammation
- Strong smell of tar
- Might dry out the hair ends
- Does not moisturize as it contains no moisturizing chemicals
- Not suitable for colored hair
- Can discolor bleached, blonde or gray hair
This shampoo has been proven to treat Seborrheic dermatitis, dryness and psoriasis effectively. It also reduces itching, flakiness and redness subsequently reducing dandruff. The users were very happy with the results except for the strong smell of the shampoo which is not very pleasant.
Selsun Blue Moisturizing Shampoo
- Contains Selenium sulfide
- Contains Aloe vera
- Soothes dry and itchy scalp
- It may burn or itch
The only drawback users have mentioned is that it worsens the condition and causes chemical burns if it is applied to the scalp and left overnight. Otherwise, it is a good product with affordable price.
The Body Shop Ginger Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
- Removes hair oil efficiently in one wash
- Lathers well and even
- Effectively cleanses hair and scalp
- Reduces itchiness
- Treats dandruff with good results
- Provides a refreshing feel
- Contains SLES (Sodium Laureth Sulphate)
- Leaves hair frizzy and dried
- No conditioner available to improve the results
Many people who have used this shampoo reviewed that it reduced dandruff to almost zero after just three washes. It also does not leave the hair dry and scalp to be itchy and flaky. All of the users were very much satisfied with the amazing results that this shampoo offers and it also have a wonderful smell to it. It is affordable too.
Jason Dandruff Relief Treatment Shampoo
- Clears dandruff
- Soothes scalp
- Natural ingredients
- Fast results
- No SLS
- No animal cruelty testing
- Does not lead to dry hair
- Strong smell
This is a great shampoo for people with dry scalp and it completely eliminates dandruff after using it frequently. Like other shampoos, the dandruff does not come back if this usage of the shampoo is discontinued. This smell is very strong but it is totally worth it for the result that it offers.
— These shampoos are the best when it comes to treating dandruff effectively. There are few other good anti-dandruff shampoos like:
- Biolage R.A.W. Scalp Care Anti-Dandruff Shampoo
- Philip Kingsley Flaky Scalp Shampoo
- Phyto Phythenol Intense Dandruff Treatment Shampoo
- Sachajuan Scalp Shampoo
Remember that it’s always best to experiment first before finding the perfect shampoo for your scalp. Also make sure to find out the frequency of washing for better results.