Hair loss in your baby can have a big effect on shaping his or her confidence. There are also many benefits of having hair. These include:
- Protecting the scalp
- Forming a barrier from the UV rays
- Protecting your little one from cold
There are many reasons why your kid can suffer from hair loss. You can always try these natural home remedies to treat it. The ingredients used in these simple home remedies to treat hair loss in kids are easy to find. They are everyday kitchen items that can be used very effectively.
Read More: Top 11 Oils for Baby Hair Growth
What causes hair loss in children?
There can be a number of reasons which lead to hair loss in kids. You will see even small children losing hair from a very young age. Some of the conditions that can lead to hair fall in your little one are:
- Scarring Alopecia
- Ringworm of the scalp
- Alopecia Areata
Home Remedies to Treat Hair Loss in your Kids
There are many tried and tested home remedies to treat your child for hair loss. You can spare your little one from losing hair with these natural remedies. But you need to be careful when using any of these ingredients on your baby.
It is always better to consult a professional before trying any of the home remedies mentioned here. Your baby’s skin and scalp are very delicate and you need to be careful when using anything on it.
Read More: Top 11 Oils for Baby Hair Growth
Massage with Oils
There are different oils that you can use to effectively treat hair loss in your kids. Each oil has its own unique way of helping with hair loss. Here are some of the oils that you can try safely:
Out of these coconut oil has the additional benefit of making your baby’s hair grow faster and stronger. It makes his or her hair healthier and adds more volume.
Olive oil makes your kid’s hair stronger and prevents further hair fall. It is best to mix the oils with a bit of lemon juice and water. This will give you the best results. Ensure that the roots and tips of your baby’s hair are covered well.
Wash off with lukewarm or cold water. In case of olive oil, you may use a mixture of water and baking soda for best effects.
This home rememdy has been in use for generations. It is very helpful in the promoting healthy hair in your little one. It’s rich content of Vitamin C can help your baby overcome a possible deficiency. Lack of proper amounts of Vitamin C in your little one’s body can also result in hair loss.
Here is how you can use it:
- Take one tablespoon full each of lemon juice and Indian gooseberry pulp
- Mix them well
- Massage the mixture onto your baby’s scalp gently but thoroughly
- Leave overnight (You can let your baby wear a shower cap)
- Shampoo and condition next morning
The anti-inflammatory agents present in this fruit are also very effective in maintaining a healthy scalp in your baby.
This is yet another highly effective home remedy for treating hair loss in children. The hormones present in the seeds helps rebuilding your baby’s hair follicles. This enhances the hair growth.
Fenugreek seeds also contain nicotinic acid and proteins. These are essential in stimulating hair growth in your baby.
- Take a cupful of fenugreek seeds
- Soak these overnight in water
- Next morning, grind the soaked seeds to make a paste
- Apply this paste on your kid’s hair
- Keep his or her head covered with a shower cap
- Wait for 40 minutes before rinsing the hair in cold or lukewarm water
Follow this home treatment everyday for a month to see best results.
Studies have shown that onion juice is very helpful in treating hair loss in kids. In fact, many people have reported that applying onion juice on the scalp can actually show significant regrowth of hair.
This is mainly due to the high sulfur content of onion. This helps improve blood circular to your kids hair follicles. It also reduces inflammation in your baby’s scalp.
Onion juice also has many helpful anti-bacterial properties. These help kill parasites and bacteria that may cause infections in your little one’s scalp. This in turn helps prevent hair fall.
- Grate and strain one onion to extract the juice from it.
- Directly apply this freshly extracted juice onto your baby’s scalp
- Leave the juice on for about 30 minutes
- Wash your kid’s hair with baby shampoo
Alternately, you can try this method:
- Take two tablespoons of aloe vera gel and three tablespoons of onion juice
- Mix the two together
- You can also choose to add a tablespoonful of olive oil
- Apply this bleend on your baby’s scalp
- Leave the mixture on for at least about half an hour
- Rinse and shampoo to wash off the mixture from your kid’s hair
You can repeat any of the above methods twice or thrice a week. Continue for several weeks to see sustained results.
There is very little that aloe vera cannot heal. It contains certain enzymes that are very helpful in promoting healthy growth of hair. It is also known for its alkalizing properties. This means that it is able to bring the pH level of your baby’s hair and scalp to a more desirable level.
Regular use of this easily available home remedy can help your kid in many ways, such as:
- Prevents itchy scalp
- Reduces redness of the scalp
- Reduces inflammation
- Adds lusture and strength to the hair
- Helps prevent dandruff
You can use both aloe vera juice and gel safely for your kids. Here is how:
- Apply aloe vera juice or gel to your baby’s scalp
- Leave the gel or juice for a couple of hours
- Then rinse off your kid’s hair with lukewarm water
Repeat the remedy at least three to four times in a week. Along with this process, you can also let your child consume a tablepoonful of aloe vera juice every morning. Let them have it on an empty stomach for best results.
Licorice root is another natural treatment for hair loss in kids. It helps prevent hair fall and also guards against further damage to his or her hair.
Licorice roots have mollifying properties. This helps open the pores of and soothe your kid’s scalp. It is also great in getting rid of irritations such as dry flakes. It is a great home remedy to try if your baby is suffering from dandruff and hair loss.
- Take one tablespoon of ground licorice powder
- Add this to one cup milk
- Add one quarter of a teaspoon of saffron to this mixture
- Mix throughly
- Apply this paste on the problem areas of your baby’s scalp at bedtime
- Leave on overnight
- Wash your baby’s hair in the morning
Follow this process once or twice a week for results. Ask your doctor if it is safe to give your kid licorice internally. If it is ok, you can try giving licorice tea for added benefits.
Apple Cider Vinegar
It is always best to keep some apple cider vinegar handy at home for its numerous benefits. It is also a great home remedy to treat hair loss in kids.
There are mainly two ways in which apple cider vinegar helps treat hair loss in your kids:
- It helps re-establish the state of the alkaline in the body.
- It delivers all essential nutrients to your baby’s body. This helps regenerate the most ideal healthful levels in his or her body
Here is how you can use apple cider vinegar to treat hair loss in your baby.
- Dilute some apple cider vinegar
- Apply this diluted mixture to your baby’s scalp and hair
- Leave on for about six hours
- Wash it off after a while
It is a safe and easy home remedy that you can try to treat hair loss in your child.
Just like coconut oil, coconut milk is also helpful in treating hair loss in children. It is rich in essential fats and protein. These are great at preventing hair loss in your kid. Coconut milk is also effective in promoting healthy hair in babies.
You can easily use this home remedy for quick results. Applied to your baby’s hair, it has great benefits. Coconut milk can be easily made at home. Here is how:
- Add freshly grated coconut to a pan of water
- Let it simmer for five minutes
- Strain the mixture and let it cool
- Apply the cooled mixture onto your baby’s scalp and hair thoroughly.
- Leave for around twenty minutes
- Shampoo your baby’s hair with a mild shampoo
To make the home remedy even more effective, you can add some powdered fenugreek seeds, and black pepper to the coconut milk.
Beetroot juice is a great natural home treatment for preventing hair loss in kids. It contains many vital nutrients that are needed for healthy hair growth. Some of the nutrients that are present in beetroot are:
- Vitamin B
- Vitamin C
Here is how you can use beetroot juice to prevent hair loss in your child:
- Boil a few beetroot leaves in water
- Grind these boiled leaves with some henna
- Apply this paste on your baby’s scalp
- Leave it fifteen to twenty minutes
- Rinse the paste out thoroughly
Repeat the process several times in a week to see the best results.
Apart from these home remedies, you can also keep the following points in mind to prevent hair fall in your baby.
- Make sure that your baby has a healthy diet
- Include plenty of Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Zinc and Iron in your child’s diet. A deficiency of any of these can lead to hair loss
- Be tender and gentle when treating your baby’s hair. They are more delicate that adults’ and require special care.
- Use a gentle shampoo for washing your kid’s hair
- Avoid tight hairbands and clips that can harm your little one’s hair
If you feel you are not noticing any improvements, or find the hair loss increasing, then contact your doctor. There maybe underlying illnesses which are causing it. In such a case, it is best to get professional medical help. Also, do not start any of the treatments without consulting your doctor first.