Change in colour and odour of the urine may also be an indicator of some medical ailment that any woman may be facing. The normal urine may range from pale yellow to yellow colour. However, pregnancy may cause various changes to the body and the changes may be evident in the urine too. If the urine is cloudy during pregnancy, there may be several reasons for the same.
In this article:
After all, there are some or complications during pregnancy. Cloudy urine during pregnancy is enough to freak out any expectant mother. Why the urine is cloudy and is it really a cause for concern? These are common questions about which every woman is worried.
All You Need to Know about Cloudy Urine During Pregnancy
Is Cloudy Urine Common During Pregnancy?
The answer is yes and no both. There are several changes during pregnancy in the body and which may change in the urine colour too. It may appear as hazier than before due to hormonal changes, medicines that are taken or due to some changes in the diet too. Also, the normal urine has no odour and is slightly yellowish. However, if there are any changes in both these characteristics, it may be due to some underlying medical condition.
What Causes Cloudy Urine in Pregnancy?
The reasons that cause cloudy urine in pregnancy are –
The changing pregnancy hormones may be the cause of cloudy urine. During pregnancy there are many hormonal changes that happen in the body to support the growing foetus. Also, some hormones like hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) may increase rapidly during the first trimester, making urine cloudy.
Reduced Water Intake
Nausea and vomiting is not only an extremely uncomfortable experience but it may also lead to dehydration. Also, the body’s fluid intake increases during pregnancy, which means the need to pep up the fluid intake. Inability in doing so may cause dehydration. So, this can be cause of cloudy urine.
Too Much Protein in the Urine
Excessive amount of protein present in the urine is called proteinuria and may lead to cloudy urine. This usually happens during the second or third trimester. If an excessive amount of protein in urine is accompanied with high blood pressure, it may be an indication of preeclampsia.
It is very common during pregnancy. However, if there is excessive vaginal discharge during pregnancy, it makes the urine cloudy. It is better to consult the doctor and seek medical advice as increased vaginal discharge may be due to some underlying medical condition.
During pregnancy there is cravings for all kinds of food, which normally can’t be consumed. Sudden or abrupt changes in diet such as more amounts of orange juice, asparagus or dairy products in the diet may make the urine hazy and cloudy. If there are changes in urine due to dietary reasons, try to eliminate these from the diet to check if it helps.
Urinary Tract Infection
This is very common during pregnancy and 2to 4 percent of women may experience it. If there is more urination, the urine is smelly and it appears cloudy too, there are chances that there is UTI. Therefore, UTI make the urine appears cloudy too so better talk to the doctor.
It is sexually transmitted disease that may cause the urine to turn cloudy. Therefore, if there is any kind of pain while urinating, excessive vaginal discharge along with cloudy urine, there is a likelihood that it may be gonorrhoea.
Sometimes the vitamins that are taken during pregnancy may be culprit too. There is no doubt that pregnancy vitamins are important for mother and growing baby but these may change the appearance of the urine too by making it appear cloudy. The main culprits for the same may be vitamin B and C.
What Does Different Coloured Urine Represent?
The changes in the colour of the urine may happen due to various reasons which are –
Pink or Red Coloured Urine
This colour is indicative that there is more consumption of more red coloured food. Apart from the food, the red colour could be because of the presence of blood and this could mean a serious health condition such as kidney disorders, internal injury or even cancer.
Dark Orange or Brown Coloured Urine
It is not a good sign. Dark orange brown coloured urine is an indication of excessive bile secretion and could mean that there may be a serious liver problem.
Bright Yellowish Orange
This is indication of consumption of too much yellow coloured food and vitamin C medicine. Apart from this consuming some other medicines may also make the urine turn bright yellowish- orange.
Taking certain medications such as laxatives, vitamins or chemotherapy medicines may the urine bluish green.
Home Treatment for Cloudy Urine
Cloudy urine could be because of various above mentioned medical reasons. However, trying some home remedies measures to deal with cloudy urine symptoms during pregnancy are –
- Drink More Water – drinking more amount of water helps in flushing out toxins from the body and thus helps in reducing the symptoms of cloudy urine.
- Dietary Changes – if the changes are due to diet so limit its intake.
- Cranberry Juice – it has substantial amounts of phytonutrients, which are helpful in reducing the symptoms of UTI, kidney stones and other such ailments that cause cloudy urine.
- Limit the Intake of High-Sugar and High-Salt Content Foods – food which is rich in sugar content may increase the risk of diabetes, which may cause cloudy urine and consuming foods with rich salt content may increase the chances of kidney problems that may cause cloudy urine too. Limiting the intake of both may reduce the symptoms of cloudy urine.
- Drink Apple Cider Vinegar – if the cloudy urine is due to the problem in the kidneys then drinking a glass of water with two to three spoons of apple cider vinegar may help.
- Take Prescribed Medicines and Dosage Only – do not self- medicate or take more that required amounts if medicines dosage during pregnancy, if that may be causing cloudy urine in the first place.
- Warm and Hot Compressions – taking hot and cold compressions may help in alleviating the
pain in the abdominal region that may be due to the infection. This also helps in reducing inflammation and may help in reducing the appearance of cloudy urine.
When to See a Doctor?
Cloudy urine during pregnancy may or may not be a cause for concern, however it is not a good idea to take any kind of risk during pregnancy. Therefore, if there are following symptoms along with turbid urine in pregnancy then seek immediate medical help –
- If cloudy urine during pregnancy third trimester is accompanied by any kind of vomiting or nausea.
- If there is fever and chills.
- If there is itching in the genitals
- If cloudy urine during pregnancy second trimester is accompanied with cramps.
- If there is hard to be in one position.
- If there is blood in the pee.
- If the pee is stinky than usual.
- If there is pain while urinating.
- If there is any kind of pain in the abdomen and lower back.
- If there is frequent urge to urinate.
It is common to have cloudy urine during pregnancy, which can be dangerous too. There are many causes which lead to this. Make sure to treat the cloudy urine with home remedies or by consulting the doctor for better help.