Do you know the fact that breastfeeding initially triggers the onset of many numerous changes? Well, there are some of the ways all of these changes can manifest including the postpartum depression or anxiety attacks and panic disorders. If you have initially make use of the quick-fix OTC like Citalopram and Celexa in order to treat these conditions earlier then it might affect your nursing baby. So, if you are initially trying in order to understand whether the use of Celexa while breastfeeding can eventually be harmful or not then here are some of the details that might be important for you in order to know.
Is Celexa (Citalopram) Safe while Breastfeeding?
What do you mean by Celexa or Citalopram?
Celexa is considered to be the brand name of the drug called Citalopram. Citalopram is known as an antidepressant that duly falls into the classification of the selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors also known as SSRIs. Citalopram is generally used in order to treat anxiety or depression and some of the other mental conditions known as the panic disorder. SSRI generally increase the level of Serotonin inside the brain. Serotonin is considered to be the neurotransmitter that eventually assist with the mental balance and also improvise the mood. SSRI are initially very effective basically in the treatment of the postpartum depression. SSRIs are initially used only during pregnancy in order to treat severe depression and also anxiety symptoms.
Is Celexa safe while Breastfeeding?
Celexa is usually safe while breastfeeding and this is because just like any other drug, Citalopram initially transfer into your breast milk but only in lower amounts. The main side effects in baby might be due to the Citalopram use and increase in fussiness and also drowsiness. Citalopram doesn’t usually cause any kind of adverse or serious effects in the development of the nursing infants.
- If you make use of Celexa during pregnancy and also if your depression symptoms after the birth then your doctor might ask you to continue the Citalopram. Thus, your doctor might ask you to eventually monitor your baby’s behaviour as well for any kind of further side effects.
- If you have been initially using Citalopram during the pregnancy then your doctor might not likely change their medication while you might be nursing your baby. But there are cases of preterm birth and for that your doctor might prescribe you a drug that eventually passes into the breast milk in low amounts than the Celexa.
- If you’re eventually using the nursing mother then you can use Citalopram usually while breastfeeding but only if your doctor prescribes for the same.
Different side-effects of the Celexa while breastfeeding
Celexa eventually cause many side effects while breastfeeding which you’re not aware of yet.
Here are some of the Celexa side effects:
- Stomach Pain
- Dry mouth
- Weight loss
- Loss of appetite
- Frequent Urination
- Muscle pain
- Excessive Fatigue
There are times while breastfeeding when you make use of Celexa it can eventually cause you severe or major side effects that might also require immediate medical attention.
Issues you might face involves:
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Rash or blisters
- High fever
- Swollen body
- Excessive sweating
- Poor concentration and issues with the memory.
Read More: Lexapro During Pregnancy: Is it Safe?
Use of SSRIs while breastfeeding
The basic and main use of SSRIs such as the Citalopram is basically considered to be safe while breastfeeding and this is because while nursing the infants they generally do not experience any kind of severe side effects and development issues with the maternal use of the SSRI drugs. But if your doctor prescribes you to take or make use of SSRIs while breastfeeding only then when it is compulsory for your health, at that time you can make use of SSRIs. During your pregnancy if you haven’t taken any kind of antidepressants then your doctor might eventually ask you a drug that privately secretes into the breast milk in the low amount possible. Citalopram might not be your doctor’s first or foremost preference of SSRI while breastfeeding only if you haven’t been using it during your pregnancy or might before it.
How to handle depression while breastfeeding?
There are most of the women who go through depression because of the severe physical and also emotional changes after pregnancy. If you don’t treat your depression well then it might cause you major damage. Thus, if your doctor initially considered it important in order to prescribe you with the safest antidepressant drug while breastfeeding then you can use it without any kind of fear of side effects.
- There are women with the postpartum depression who can eventually experience many numerous symptoms that involve negative thoughts or difficulty in sleeping or decreased appetite or panic attacks and irritability
- Celexa is initially considered one of the most efficient yet effective medicines in order to treat the postpartum depression at the same time. So, you can take your doctor’s prescription regarding the same and know about its benefits and other side effects in order to treat your depression and also other anxiety symptoms.
- You need to also seek proper support from your family and your husband or partner and this can eventually be extremely beneficial for the patient to come out of depression
However, postpartum depression doesn’t mean that you are an inadequate or a bad mother. It is just a kind of a medical condition that can be treated easily. You need to seek or take help from the counsel or your doctor for the same. You need not worry about all the antidepressants as it is given just to maintain the health of your body while breastfeeding. So, if you have any other questions regarding the use of Celexa in your mind you can simply read the above mentioned things in order to make it clear in your mind. Make sure while consuming or taking any kind of medicine or antidepressants, consult your doctor and only if the doctor prescribe you or allows you for the same you can have them.
Read More: Can I Take Antidepressants During Pregnancy?