Pregnancy requires care, care in the sense for both mothers as well as for the baby. A healthy baby is the result of a healthy pregnancy therefore, it is essential to take proper care of the mother during pregnancy in all aspects. Intake of a healthy diet is one of the most important aspects of assigning a healthy pregnancy. The food she takes, the drink she drinks have a direct effect on the baby during pregnancy.
Cheese is a healthy and nutrient-rich milk product that is usually consumed by us in our day-to-day life, but is it safe during pregnancy also? Can it cause any harm to the baby inside the womb? What kind all cheese is not suitable during pregnancy? All these questions are answered below.
In this article:
All You Need to Know about Brie Cheese During Pregnancy
One of the soft cheese made from cow’s milk is known as Brie Cheese. It is named so because it was first made in the region of Brie in France. It is soft pale, often associated to have a grayish tinge. The flavor of Brie Cheese varies according to the ingredients used, according to their availability in the environment. Process of the making of Brie Cheese is as follows :
- It is made either from whole milk or partially skimmed milk.
- Rennet is added to the raw milk and then heated to the temperature no more than 37 degrees C. Through this curd is obtained.
- This curd is now put in the molds. Inside the mold, the thin layers of cheese are filled.
- Later about 18 hours after these are drained out and collected.
- Once collected, salt is added to it and then inoculated with the cheese mold.
- Then for almost five weeks, it is kept to set.
- Many a time, Brie cheese is kept in the maturing stage for months or years so that it develops strong and rich flavor. Thus, the color often changes to dark and softness turns crumbly.
- Overripe Brie Cheese contains a large amount of ammonia which is not at all healthy.
Is Brie Cheese Safe During Pregnancy?
Brie is obtained from unpasteurized milk and therefore contains various harmful bacterias such as Listeria. Thus, during pregnancy, it is advised to consume hard cheese or soft cheese made from pasteurized milk. It is better to not to consume cheese during pregnancy if complete detail about cheese is not known.
Health Benefits of Brie Cheese Consumption
It is unsafe to have Brie cheese during pregnancy but once the mother has delivered a baby she can get back and have the Brie Cheese. But doctor consultation is still required in case of breastfeeding thus during the weaning process mother should get back to eating of Brie Cheese. Following are some of the health benefits of Brie Cheese :
Plenty of Vitamins
Brie cheese is found to contain numerous amount of vitamins such as Vitamin B12, Folic acid, Riboflavin, and Niacin. Other than these Vitamin A present in Brie helps in boosting the immune system of our body while enhancing the hair growth and maintaining skin. These Vitamins enhance the breakdown of carbohydrates, proteins as well as fats in the body in order to deliver energy at faster to the body. Vitamin D is found in a small amount which helps in strengthening the bones of our body.
Minerals like Calcium, phosphorus, and Manganese present in Brie help in strengthening the bones while Zinc is found to support various functional enzymes in the cells. Selenium in Brie acts as a good antioxidant for our body.
A large number of Carbohydrates and Calories
Brie cheese is considered as a good source to provide calories to our body. It is found 1 ounce of Brie Cheese delivers 95 calories energy to our body and this supply is very quick. When it comes to carbohydrates, it is found 1 ounce of Brie Cheese has about 0.13 grams of carbohydrate in the form of sugar. In small quantities, lactose is also found which causes no harm to the body or any danger to lactose intolerance.
Proteins and Fat Content
Brie Cheese is a good source of fats as well as proteins. One ounce of brie cheese has about 6 grams of proteins and 8 grams of fats including saturated fat. Protein is important to fulfill the amino acid need of our body required to maintain a healthy body. The amount of unsaturated fatty acid is quite high in Brie which is also considered healthy for our body by reducing the risk of type 2 diabetes.
Caution while Purchasing Brie Cheese
It is important that Brie should be packed in airtight or plastic wrap inside the refrigerator. Proper display of Expiry date and manufacturing should be provided by the manufacturer. Brie can be used after 6 months if deep-frozen during this period. It is still considered safe to use. But if it is stored at room temperature beyond 4 hours it is better to discard the Brie.
Healthy Recipes of Brie Cheese
Brie tastes yum and healthy side by side and thus it is used in various recipes. Following are some recipes in which Brie is added to make the dish more delicious as well as more nutritive :
Baked Brie with Figs, Pistachios
It is healthy to consume such dry fruits and Brie provides delicious taste to these dry fruits and this recipe is much better than a fruitcake.
- ¼cup fig jam
- Zest of an orange
- Black pepper as required
- ¼cup sliced figs
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- ½ cup chopped pistachios
- Bread as per serving
- Preheat oven at 375 degrees F. Now place Brie in a microwave skillet on baking sheet.
- In a bowl , stir up the jam with figs, pistachios as well as orange in order to mix well.
- Pour this mixture over the top of the Brie. Later garnish it with black pepper.
- Now Bake it until the cheese starts melting for about 15 to 17 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and now garnish with honey and thyme.
- Best served along with Bread.
Baked Brie along Cranberries and Pomegranate
Fruits are healthy for our body and Baked Brie makes the seasonal makeover move with them.
- A cup full of cranberries
- 2 tablespoon of sugar
- ¼ cup juice of pomegranate
- 1 ½ tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup honey
- Flaky sea salt
- Rosemary sprigs for serving
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1/8 ounce wheel of Brie
- ½ cup pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a pot mix cranberries, sugar, honey, pomegranate juice, and orange zest. Let the cranberries burst over the simmer medium heat.
- Heat the olive oil on medium skillet on medium heat. Pecans are added and cooked till these become fragrant in about 4 minutes.
- Place Brie in a small oven and bake it until cheese turns soft which will take about 7 to 9 minutes.
- Pour this Brie in cranberry mixture. Sprinkle toasted pecans, and garnish it with rosemary sprigs.
- The dish is ready to serve with whole wheat crackers.
Honey Brulee Brie
Honey makes the skin glow and Brie along it shows the synergistic effect on our body.
- 8-ounce brie
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- Some crostini or crackers for serving
- Preheat the broiler and place Brie on a heatproof plate.
- Evenly spread the honey over the brie with layer of sugar on top of it.
- Place the brie under the broiler and broil for 1 minute.
- Remove it from heat and allow the sugar to cool down and turn hard.
- Serve with Crostini.
Blackberries with Walnuts and Brie
It tastes even better than apple pie. Healthy as well as delicious to eat.
- 2 full cups of all-purpose flour.
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt and unsalted butter
- ½ pint blackberries
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 130 g brie cheese
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Put the brie in freezer for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- In a large bowl , mix flour , sugar , baking powder and salt.
- Cut butter and mix it with flour until it becomes small and crumbly.
- Add blackberries and walnuts.
- Add about ¾ cup and 2 tablespoon buttermilk and mix it well.
- Pat the dough onto 2 to 3 inch rounds and place them on parchment baking sheet.
- Bake these for 10 minutes.
- While the scones are baking , bring out the brie from the freezer cut it into small pieces.
- Remove the scones from the oven make a depression in the tops and allow Brie to fill in the depression.
- Get back to oven and bake 2 to 3 minutes till the brie melts and scone turn slightly golden in color.
- Allow it to cool down and then it is ready to serve.
Normally Brie Cheese is healthy to consume but when it comes to pregnancy, one needs to be cautious and aware of its harm to the body during this phase of life. It is recommended to consult a doctor about the foodstuff a mother is consuming during pregnancy.