Abortion pills provide, women, an option to terminate unwanted pregnancies. Pregnancies, within 9 weeks, can be terminated using such pills. Though it is less invasive than surgical abortion there many side effects of abortion pills. The common abortion pill side effects include headaches, diarrhea, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, fever and chills. If you need to undergo a medical abortion, in the first trimester, you must be aware of these basic abortion pill side effects. Leaving aside the emotional and mental impacts, there will be lots of physical side effects of the abortion pills.
It is true that abortion pills gifts you the option to terminate pregnancy in the privacy of your home. There are no surgical interventions required. However, that does not mean that there will be no side effects of abortion pills. The side effects of abortion pills could be less from a surgical abortion. But there are few major ones, worth your knowledge.
11 Abortion Pill Side Effects
1. Heavy Bleeding: Bleeding is obvious and it indicates that the pills are working. Misoprostol, the second of the two pills taken, triggers a serious contraction of the uterus. This contraction helps the uterus to be empty. This causes heavy bleeding more than regular period bleeding. The expulsion of tissue and blood clots are prominent side effects of abortion pills. Some women also experience some bleeding and spotting even after 4 weeks of the abortion, using abortion pills.
Using a sanitary pad does help in the cause but if you face hemorrhage then it is advised that you get medical attention. Bleeding causing two sanitary napkins to get soaked in an hour qualifies as ‘heavy’. 2 in 1000 women face this kind of complications.
2. Cramps: The entire process of undergoing private abortion will cause stomach muscle cramps. The loss of blood and other essential fluids can trigger muscle cramps in other parts of the body as well. But these are obvious side effects of abortion pills. The gradual intake of fluids and solids will eventually help you recover from the cramps.
3. Pain: The contraction of the uterus is likely to cause severe pain. Coupled with bleeding and cramping, the experience can be very painful. Medically advised pain relievers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen is regarded safe. However, doctors advise against using aspirin to manage pain. Aspirin is likely to increase bleeding. In case of abnormal back pain, crippling you to the extent of not being able to stand up, seeking medical help is advisable.
4. Fever: Feeling feverish is another common side effect of abortion pill. A fever below 100 degree Fahrenheit or 38 degree Celsius is recommended safe by the American Pregnancy Association. However, if the fever rises above the specified limit it is advisable to seek medical help.
5. Chill: Feeling cold or the odd chilling sensation is also a quite normal side effect of abortion pill. The chill might lead to a certain fever but it is normally under control. The chilling sensation is caused due to the profuse loss in blood. But, gradually after sometime, the body regains its previous heat and temperature.
6. Diarrhea: The usage of abortion pills often causes diarrhea. This can result in passing 3 or more bowel movements per day. The bowel movements can be very watery and loose. However, if it exceeds a certain limit, consulting the doctor is advisable.
7. Dizziness: Abortion pills can certainly make one feel bit dizziness. The dizzy feeling is natural but if you feel like fainting or cannot sit straight then you should call your doctor immediately. Under normal circumstances you should recover from the dizziness within an hour or so.
8. Nausea & Vomiting: One of the most harmful side effects of abortion pills is nausea. If you feel puckish within an hour of taking the pill you must look for replacement pills. If you puke out the pill, the dosage will be ineffective. You must consult with the physician before getting a replacement pill.
9. Headaches: Along with dizziness, headaches are also very common side effects of abortion pills. The best way to deal with headaches is to take rest. Abortion pills do replace the necessity of a surgical abortion but at the same time it takes the toll on your body. For that reason, side effects like headaches and dizziness are natural. You must take some rest and try to get on to some regular diets.
10. Smelly discharge from Vagina: Unpleasantly smelled discharge from the vagina can also be regarded as another harmful side effect of abortion pills. This is certainly not a good sign and in most cases indications that something is wrong. If you experience similar discharge it is critical that you consult your physician.
11. Incomplete Abortion: There can be times when the abortion pill proves to be ineffective. This will cause incomplete termination of the process or in other words continuation of the pregnancy. In such cases surgical abortions are preferred. This does not happen a lot but from 2 to 10 percent of the women suffer from this kind of failure of the abortion pill. The signs of failure might include prolonged pain, cramps and continuous bleeding even after weeks of taking the pill.
Abortion pills have gained much attention in the past decade. Time has also proved that they are much safer alternative when compared to the surgical process of abortion. But in order to work, abortion pills must be used within the first 9 weeks of pregnancy. However, this non-surgical process is not free from any sort of side effects. There are few expected side effects of abortion pills and this includes headaches, diarrhea, dizziness, and nausea. However, there are also various harmful side effects of the pill and you must consult your physician, on an immediate basis, if you experience any such harmful side effects. The harmful side effects mostly concerns heavy and nonstop bleeding and pain along with high fever and smelly vaginal discharges. Also if there is no bleeding even after 24 hours of using misoprostol, you must render medical guidance.