Some of the benefits of pregnancy pillow includes: provides body support, stimulates deep sleep, improves blood circulation, helps women remain calm, lowers heart rate, relaxes the muscles, reduces heartburn, water retention levels and body pains, to name a few.
As women go through a pregnancy, they find it increasingly difficult to sleep well at night, due mainly to the constant changes in their bodies and their growing stomachs. It’s not surprising for many pregnant women to complain of leg cramps and back pain, making it all the more difficult to find the best sleep position. One workable solution, however, is the pregnancy pillow.
What is a pregnancy pillow?
A pregnancy pillow is a pillow of a large-ish size, but U-shaped, wedge shaped or bean shaped. Most pregnant women find a lot of comfort using these pillows, chiefly in sleeping at night.
Must Know Benefits of Pregnancy Pillow
Pregnancy pillows are beneficial in many ways, such as:
1. Provide body support: Pregnancy pillows provide adequate support for the stomach, neck, legs, shoulders and back. Women who suffer from neck and back pain can use this by lying in a half-fetal position, which is considered the best one for pregnant women. A good pregnancy pillow can relieve pressure on the spine, back and hips while improving alignment of the hip, shoulder and spine.
2. Stimulate deep sleep: Pregnancy demands that women sleep well and long since a lack of sleep could play havoc with the newborn and the pregnant woman. By using a pregnancy pillow, a pregnant woman can get rid of discomfort and pain usually felt in this period. This can bring about good sleep. Besides, these pillows can help the baby reach the best birth position, thereby facilitating a less painful and shorter labour for the mom. Women can get all the relaxation and sleep they need because of the ergonomic design of this pillow.
3. Help women remain calm: Often, pregnant women who cannot sleep worry about tossing and turning in bed. They are most concerned about laying accidental pressure on their wombs, which makes them anxious and worried. By using a pregnancy pillow, their movements in bed are reduced and they can get deep and constant sleep without interruptions.
4. Good for baby support: Even after the birth of the baby, pregnancy pillows can be used to support the baby while feeding it or as a barrier so that he doesn’t roll over the bed.
5. Improves blood circulation: Doctors recommend that pregnant women sleep on their left side as the baby begins to grow. Of course, there are certain sleep positions that have a positive impact on good blood circulation. A pregnancy pillow can help an expecting woman to relax her hip and back while she sleeps. She can also sleep in different positions that keep her comfortable using this pillow.
6. Lowers heart rate: By hugging a pregnancy pillow, a pregnant woman’s heart rate is automatically lowered and she feels calm and has a good grip over her emotions. It, therefore, supports her emotionally and physically.
7. Elevate your feet in sleep: If your doctor recommends that you need to keep your feet raised while you sleep, you can use a pregnancy pillow for this purpose. You will get an added benefit of peaceful and deep sleep.
8. Relax your muscles: With the help of a body pillow, the body can remain still and the muscles get a chance to relax.
9. Gets rid of body ache: Carrying around extra body weight during pregnancy can cause stress to different body parts of pregnant women. But with a pregnancy pillow, all the pain women traditionally suffer can be a thing of the past due to the good cushioning it offers. It is also soft which adds to the extra comfort during sleep.
10. Allergy-free: Hormonal changes during pregnancy make women more prone to contracting allergies, respiratory issues and skin rashes. However, these can be avoided by using a well-designed pregnancy pillow made of quality hypoallergenic materials.
11. Reduces heartburn and water retention levels: Not only does a pregnancy pillow reduce the discomfort of body ache but it also reduces the feeling of heartburn and minimizes water retention levels.
12. Lowers risk of snoring: By preventing you from falling on your back and therefore sleeping in the right position, women using a pregnancy pillow who are prone to snoring can kick the habit naturally.
13. Prevents sleeping in the wrong position: A pregnancy pillow is instrumental in preventing an expecting woman from sleeping on her stomach in an uncomfortable and dangerous position.
14. Offers side sleep: Pregnancy pillows are ergonomically designed to offer support both in the front and back while a pregnant woman sleeps on her side. Additionally, they support a woman’s head and neck and are large enough to be placed between her knees so that she sleeps comfortably. It’s important that pregnant women sleep on their sides so that their blood circulation is better. But the growing stomach of a woman makes this uncomfortable. But by using a pregnancy pillow, a pregnant woman can find the desired cushioning and can sleep better.
15. Can be used even after pregnancy: Much after childbirth, a new mother can continue to use a pregnancy pillow. They can use it to support the baby while breastfeeding or to support its neck and back while resting. So, a pregnancy once bought can be used for years to come.
16. Travel with it: You can take it on a long trip as it will give you good support around the lower back, thereby keeping you from getting a cramp. They are also compact enough for you to fold and put in your suitcase.
17. Pregnancy pillows relieve men of back pain: This proves that you don’t have to be a pregnant woman to use the pregnancy pillow. This kind of pillow is for everyone who suffers a bad back.
If you are pregnant, why not go out and get a pregnancy pillow today? Not only would you say goodbye to restlessness at night, but it could bring calm, better sleep and a better mood, among other benefits to the pregnant woman. After all, any benefits a woman experiences are quickly passed on to the newborn.