New mothers often suffer from postpartum hair loss. This can be seen as sudden loss of a lot of hair. You can notice postpartum hair loss between three to six months after childbirth. It can be very distressing for you to deal with along with coping with the responsibilities of motherhood.
What causes postpartum hair loss?
The hormones during pregnancy keeps your hair from falling out. This leads to a thicker mane of hair during pregnancy. Usually you can lose up to 100 strands of hair per day. During pregnancy this does not happen. However, once your child is born the hormones return to their normal levels. This makes the the extra hair accumulated during pregnancy fall out.
This is completely normal. It is nothing freak out about. It is only the excess hair that has not been shed during pregnancy that is falling out. Things will get back to normal soon. Once your baby is about a year old, you can expect your hair loss to stop.
Read more: Top 11 Oils for Baby Hair Growth
Home Remedies For Postpartum Hair Loss
Postpartum hair loss can be treated at home easily. Here are 11 easy home remedies for treating postpartum hair loss in new mothers.
This is one home remedy you can use to treat postpartum hair loss. It makes use of an easily available ingredient. The steps are also not very time-taking. You can do it while taking care of your newborn.
- Take the white of 1 egg and blend well with 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- Apply the paste on your hair
- Leave for about 30 minutes
- Rinse off with cold or lukewarm water
This is yet another easily available ingredient that you can use as a home remedy for postpartum hair loss. It is greatly beneficial for your hair. Here are some ways in which you can use the seeds of fenugreek to treat postpartum hair loss.
- Soak a handful of fenugreek seeds in water overnight
- Strain and apply the water to your scalp
- Leave for 1 – 2 hours
- Repeat the process once or twice every week for best results.
- Alternately, you can make a paste of roasted fenugreek seeds and apply it on your scalp
- You can also add the fenugreek seeds to your oil. Heat the oil and add the seeds. Apply this oil to your scalp
Fenugreek seeds are known to make your hair strong and healthy. It can also effectively treat dandruff and hair fall.
Curd is an excellent home remedy for treating postpartum hair loss. It can help with the excessive hair fall. It is also known to stimulate healthy hair growth.
- Apply curd to your scalp and leave for 10 minutes
- Wash off with cold or lukewarm water
- Add plenty of yogurt to your postpartum diet for added benefits
Curd has been used since generations as an excellent conditioner. It is easily available and can be effectively used to treat postpartum hair loss.
These have been used for centuries in Indian households to nourish hair. It is a great home remedy to try for postpartum hair loss.
- Boil some Indian gooseberry in oil
- Once the gooseberries become black in color, strain and keep the oil
- Massage your scalp well with this oil
- Use daily for best results
You can also include Indian gooseberries in your diet easily. There are juices and extracts available in the market to choose from. It is a very powerful tonic with many health benefits. Adding this to your diet is definitely a smart choice.
Coconut can be used in many ways to arrest postpartum hair loss. It has been used in many cultures for promoting healthy hair growth.
- Apply coconut milk on your scalp regularly to get relief from postpartum hair loss
- You can also collect the ashes of the hard shell of coconut and mix it in some coconut oil
- Apply this oil to your scalp regularly for markedly less hair fall
Applying coconut oil or milk on your scalp regularly can greatly improve the quality of your hair also. You can notice your hair getting shinier, darker, and more voluminous.
Almond oil has many benefits. One of these is its ability to help you fight against postpartum hair loss. Almond oil is packed with the goodness of vitamin E, monounsaturated fatty acids, and polyunsaturated fatty acids.
All of these are essential for healthy hair. If you are suffering from postpartum hair loss, you can try massaging your hair and scalp with almond oil.
- Warm some almond oil in a small pan
- Massage into hair and scalp
- Repeat the massage 2 – 3 times every day
You will notice a remarkable change soon. You can effectively prevent further hair loss with the help of massaging with warm almond oil. The massage will also help you relax.
Castor Oil is yet another oil that is very beneficial for treating postpartum hair loss. It is rich in omega-3 fatty acids and ricinoleic acid. Make the below blend and keep handy:
- Mix equal parts castor oil and almond oil
- Massage this mixture on your scalp regularly
- Wash off with shampoo and conditioner as usual
You can also blend castor oil with coconut oil and massage into your hair and scalp. Reguar massage will help improve the circulation and prevent further hair loss.
You can make use of yeast to treat postpartum hair loss. If you have heard of beer being good for hair, it is because of the presence of yeast. Yeast is very effective in treating postpartum hair loss. Yeast found in beer is rich in riboflavin, biotin, and folic acid. All these are known for promoting healthy hair growth.
- Wash your hair with beer regularly to notice a striking difference in hair fall
- You can also make a simple home hair mask with brewer’s yeast
Using yeast is a great way to treat hair fall after childbirth. It will not only help with the hair loss, but also give you a head of strong and shiny hair.
He Shou Wu-hk
It is a common Chinese herb, that is used by Asian mothers to effectively treat postpartum hair loss. It is rich in zinc. He Shou is also well known for its anti-inflammatory properties. It is renowned for its beneficial effects on postpartum hair loss.
You can take supplements of this Chinese herb after childbirth. It will help prevent postpartum hair loss. He Shou is also great for encouraging growth of healthy hair. It is a must include in your postpartum regime if you are noticing signs of hair loss.
Essential Fatty acids
Make sure to include lots of foods rich in essential fatty acids in your postpartum diet. Foods such as flaxseeds are high in omega-3 fatty acids. These are essential for healthy hair growth. It will also help you prevent postpartum hair loss.
Some of the essential fatty acids that you need to include in your postpartum diet are:
- omega-3-fatty acids
- omega-6-fatty acids
- omega-9-fatty acids
Fish oils are also a good source of these essential fatty acids. Make sure to include these in your diet to prevent postpartum hair loss. Alternately you can also take a supplement.
Massage with medicated oils
Massaging your hair regularly after childbirth will help improve the circulation and prevent hair fall. Proper massage can also help promote hair growth. Try massaging your scalp with lukewarm oils everyday for 5 – 10 minutes for best results.
Some of the medicated oils that have been known to provide great benefits for postpartum hair loss are:
- Arnica Oil
- Amla (Indian Gooseberry) Oil
- Mahabhringraj Oil
- Rosemary Oil
These oils can be massaged into the scalp every night to see results. You will soon notice reduced hair fall. Your hair will also become stronger and healthier with the regular use of these medicated oils.
For better hair health, here are a few tips that can help you prevent postpartum hair loss:
- Avoid washing your hair in hot water. It is always better to use cold or lukewarm water to wash your hair.
- Use a wide-toothed comb for your hair. This will help minimize breakage and hair fall
- Invest in a good quality and mild shampoo and conditioner
- Avoid colors and styling tools such as tongs and blow-dryers. Frequent use of chemical coloring agents can make your hair brittle post pregnancy.
- Never comb or brush your wet hair
- Avoid styling gels and sprays if you are suffering from postpartum hair loss
A little care, along with some home remedies, will prevent excessive hair fall post pregnancy. Gradually, you hair will return to its natural thickness. Worrying about is only going to make matters worse. Stress can lead to increased hair fall. So, relax and try the above home remedies to treat postpartum hair loss.