My Baby Drank Hair Shampoo: Side Effects and Remedies

on May 17, 2018

From the first weeks of life, the infant can be a victim of intoxication. Children under the age of one to five years are the most concerned by intoxications because it is at the age when one explores the outside world by bringing all to his mouth.  All children like to put objects in their mouths; For them, it is a natural way to know and explore the world that surrounds them. For this reason, we must be very careful.

The bathroom is one of the places in the house in which we must pay special attention, because there we keep many products that can be toxic for our children: medicines, toothpaste, shampoo, soap and other products of frequent use, such as creams or cosmetics.

Intoxication caused by the ingestion of shampoo is quite frequent. Although most liquid shampoos are considered relatively non-toxic, their consumption determines risks.

Shampoo  Swallowing: Side Effects and Remedies for Children

 shampoo swallowing

Side Effects if Your Baby Drank Hair Shampoo

Generally, these children have no serious side effects. Fortunately, these products do not taste good and therefore the amount swallowed is limited.

However, common side effects include:

  • Nausea
  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting or a
  • A hint of local redness or irritation
  • Stomach pain, in some cases
  • Temporary breathing difficulties due to shampoo in the nose and throat
  • Wheezing
  • Swollen tongue and throat
  • Speaking difficulties

However, if your child does not show any of the above-mentioned symptoms or if any other symptoms are shown that are not mentioned, call your local poison control center.

Remedies if your baby drank hair shampoo

The perfect remedy is to call the emergency number. But till their arrival, you can try some easy steps to make your child feel comfortable to some extent.

  • If you find your child with soap scum in his mouth or with an open or empty shampoo bottle he may have been poisoned. Keep calm and act immediately. First, remove the container or soap residue. If the child is of that age, have him spit. Do not try to remove the remains with your fingers as you can hurt them. Keep the remains of the poison (including the container) or some other evidence that can determine how much you have ingested and what type.
  • Consult the poison control center and give complete information about the age and weight of the child, and several other information asked. If you observe something strange and abnormal do mention it to them.
  • Do not let your child drink anything at this time as this leads to foam, which in turn causes vomiting. Also if possible and suitable try to make him eat a fatty food, such as buttered toast or biscuit, to prevent foaming.

Do call the emergency contact number and get consulted with them as soon as possible. But before calling the emergency, jot down below things first.

  • Child age, weight, and condition
  • The name of the product (ingredients and strengths, if known)
  • The time it was swallowed
  • The amount swallowed

As a rule of thumb, we must avoid having at your fingertips those products that can cause a picture of intoxication. It is best to avoid leaving shampoos and soaps on the edge of the bath while bathing small children. Handbags will preferably be out of reach of small hands.

Hope this article was of help for all our parents!! Please share your comments/queries/tips with us and help us create a world full of Happy and Healthy Babies!!

References:

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/002737.htm

https://www.dovemed.com/healthy-living/first-aid/first-aid-shampoo-poisoning/

Related Posts

Popular Posts

Top