Prenatal Vitamins are important for expecting mothers so that they can get all the nutrients that the baby needs. It’s hard to get all the nutrients that your baby needs even if you are consuming a wide variety of foods. Taking prenatal vitamins is even more important for those women who have dietary restrictions. These can include:
- Vegetarians or Vegans
- Lactose intolerance
- Substance abuse
- Blood disorder
- Eating disorder
- Chronic disease
- Expecting twins or higher multiples
Taking a daily prenatal vitamin during pregnancy is essential. It’s one of the easiest ways to do something positive for your growing baby. Even those on a healthy diet are at risk of missing out on getting vital nutrients for your growing fetus. Prenatal vitamins help fill that gap.
There are many brands of prenatal vitamins available in the market that claim to have multiple benefits. But when choosing a prenatal vitamin look for one that includes:
- Folic Acid
- Vitamins A, C, D, and E
Let’s have a look at 7 of the best prenatal vitamins to consider when you are expecting.
- Rainbow Light Prenatal One: It is free of any animal products and therefore suitable for vegetarians. It is a food based prenatal vitamin. It is also a suitable product for vegan mothers-to-be. There is plenty of folic acid, iron, and a vitamin B complex. These nutrients help you sustain energy during your pregnancy and aide in the healthy growth pf your baby. Prenatal One contains essential nutrients in potencies that deliver optimal nourishment and protection for moms and babies throughout pregnancy and nursing. Prenatal One contains no wheat, gluten, sugar, dairy, lactose, nuts, soy, shellfish or yeast. It contains no animal products or artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners, preservatives, or other additives.
- New Chapter Perfect Prenatal Multivitamin: This product is made from all non-GMO (genetically modified organisms) ingredients. It is a probiotic formulated with organic herbs. It is made from cultured whole food vitamins and minerals. This brand of prenatal multivitamins also helps you provide 100 percent of your daily iron value. For mothers who are seeking organic prenatal vitamins, New Chapter Perfect Prenatal Multivitamin is the answer. It is composed of organic superfood sprouts such as kale, cauliflower, and broccoli. It is gentle and can even be taken on an empty stomach. It wont make you queasy or constipated as is the case for many of the other brands available.
- One a Day Women’s Prenatal Vitamins: Taking this will help you fulfill 100 percent of the recommended daily intake value of folic acid during pregnancy. It is a liquid gel and multivitamin tablet duo. It has been found to be beneficial for both mom and her baby before, during, and after the pregnancy. It is also a good source of Omega 3 DHA and iron. This prenatal vitamin helps you get the additional nutrients to support your baby’s health in addition to yours. Adding a prenatal multivitamin is an important step in providing nutritional support for you and your developing baby.
- New Chapter Wholemega Prenatal Vitamin: This a whole fish oil supplement. It is a good source of whole omegas, vitamin D-3, and antioxidants. The product contains oil from 100 percent sustainably caught wild Alaskan salmon. It uses non-GMO ingredients and is gluten-free. Chemically processed fish oils can lose the naturally occurring vitamins and antioxidants that your body needs during pregnancy. It’s an excellent source of whole DHA, a “good fat” that’s important for fetal development of the brain and retina during pregnancy and throughout the first year of life. Wholemega Prenatal is delivered in small, easy-to-swallow capsules for mom’s comfort and convenience.
- Smarty Pants Prenatal Gummy Multivitamin: SmartyPants Prenatal Complete is more than a multivitamin. It tastes great and is a gummy multivitamin to help keep you and your baby healthy before, during, and after pregnancy. It is packed with essential nutrients required for the proper growth and development of your baby. It is a great source of vitamin D3, and omega 3 fish oil. Use of premium ingredients helps make it easy to absorb by the body. SmartyPants are non-GMO and allergen-free, with no synthetic colors, flavors, or preservatives. Unfortunately, the only drawback of this is that it does not contain iron. If you decide on taking this brand, then consult your doctor for a suitable iron supplement.
- Best Nest Wellness Prenatal Vitamins: This product is very gentle on the stomach and easy-to-swallow. This multivitamin is food based and composed of an organic blend. Best Nest Wellness Prenatal Vitamins contain the most easily absorbable nutrients. It is perfect for prenatal, pregnancy, IVF, postnatal and breastfeeding mothers. This product contains ingredients like organic chamomile, red raspberry leaf & ginger. These ingredients aid digestibility, nausea, and soothe mothers-to-be. This also contains rich reserves of iron to help you meet the increased demands of your growing baby. It is free of sugar, sweeteners, artificial colors and flavors, preservatives, gluten, yeast, soy, fish/shellfish, nuts, GMOs, and dairy/lactose.
- MegaFood Baby & Me Herb Free Prenatal Vitamin: This product has been designed specifically keeping in mind the requirements of the body before, during, and after pregnancy. Pregnant and mothers who are breastfeeding have an increased requirement of vitamin B6. This product helps you meet the increased need successfully. It is gentle and easy to digest. It has been specially formulated with whole foods keeping so that you are not left feeling nauseous. Whole food delivers nourishing vitamins and minerals in their safest and most bioavailable form. Baby and Me is a complete whole food multi-vitamin and mineral formula designed specifically for pregnant and/or lactating women.
What is the correct time for me to start taking prenatal vitamins?
What are the possible side effects of taking prenatal vitamins?
You may feel mildly nauseous after taking a prenatal vitamin. In case you do feel nausea, try taking the pill with food. You can also try taking the vitamins right before going to bed. Another issue that you may be faced with is constipation. This can be even more common if your chosen brand has a high amount of iron. In case you experience constipation, be sure to drink lots of water and include plenty of fiber in your diet. Get regular exercise to help your bowel movements. You can also ask your doctor for pregnancy safe stool softeners.
As with any other dietary supplement, consult your physician before using any of the above products.